Lodging Complaint about PP

31ML
Contributor
Contributor
Where do I lodge a complaint about paypal? My 15 yr old opened an account and we’ve been trying to close it for over 3 months - they just keep saying it’s under review and won’t resolve it. I’m so sick of this dragging on but the message centre responses keep fobbing us off. I don’t know where to escalate. There is only $100 in her account - no disputes over the transactions - but paypal are sitting on it. I don’t know where to escalate?
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@31ML 

Paypal does not allow account holders under the age of 18.

PayPal asks for a birth date when you register so whilst you can make a PayPal account with false information the account will need to be verified to accept funds into your balance or lift any limits.

As they would be unable to verify the account it would be permanently locked for further use. They would never be able to close an illegally opened minor account, Paypal limit it to stop any information linked to that account being released in case the owner tries to open another Paypal account against their rules.

Minors can’t enter legal contracts so they may not have any recourse to get the money back until they were 18, unless customer services allow you to transfer the funds to a parents account?

Once they are 18 Paypal may allow them to open a new account and transfer the funds across. That option is not guaranteed though as they have already broken Paypal rules once but they would be allowed to withdraw the funds in some way if not already transferred to a parents account once they are 18.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

31ML
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the advice - that’s exactly what we were hoping (to have the balance transferred to my account given she’s not 18) and one of the early customer service messages advised that may be possible but we are going in a circle because they will only transact with her (despite her authorising them to deal with me to get this resolved via her account) but they won’t action it. It’s been months and no one seems to take carriage of finalising it. They keep taking it back to the start and asking her to provide ID for her account - which she can’t do because she’s not 18. And so we explain again and so they agree to review it - but nothing done to resolve it. Over and over again. Tough break for a kid that was just trying to trade some shoes with friends - she’s given them the goods but paypal is holding the money.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.