Limited account and cryptocurrency wallet

Merznd87
Contributor
Contributor

I had a paypal account that recently became permanently limited perhaps because I accidentally kept my vpn turned on when I logged in. I had a few hundred dollars in crypto in my wallet and since I now have to wait 180 days to get my money back (kind of insane) I also cant even sell my crypto currency and just keep it in the wallet whenever I want to. Is paypal just going to arbitrarily transfer the crypto back to the wallet whenever the 180 days is up? That feels absolutely criminal given the fluctuations of cryptocurrency.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @Merznd87,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post.

I am sorry to hear your account has been permanently limited. I know this must be frustratingPlease be assured that we do not take the decision to permanently limit an account lightly. 

If there is a balance in the account, that will be held for up to 180 days to minimize any potential risk of loss due to disputes or chargebacks that may be filed during that period. After 180 days, you’ll be notified of your ability to withdraw the balance. If you have any issues then, please let us know. 

- Rachel 

Login to Me Too

Merznd87
Contributor
Contributor

I understand that, but my only "crime" was forgetting to turn off my vpn I was using to cancel my disney plus account that I couldn't use anyway while I was traveling in Korea. Not a warning, not an alert, just fully limited. And I understand holding for 6 months but I don't even have transactions that would be needed to be refunded. It may be careful on your part but it is a blanket policy that doesnt take anything about the user into account and I can't even email paypal about it because I only get automatic responses or get to talk to the stupid AI chatbot on the site (who says to email paypal) 

All in all, it is quite shocking to be honest that they are legally able to hold money for 6 months like that and should be a warning to other users who legitimately rely on paypal for their business. Very disappointed in the service and the current situation. 

Login to Me Too

Ouchmypancreas
Contributor
Contributor

I had exact same problem - Im logging in from Airbnbs which isnt exactly a secure network, so I used my VPN not realizing it was against terms and conditions.  Ive had this account for over a decade and now its just terminated.  I submitted all the documentation to show who I was and that the money was from legitimate sources, Ive called and talked to managers and managers' managers, I get to someone each time who seems to think they can help resole this but in the end, after I hang up, I get the message that they cant.

BUT WORSE STILL - it's been 180 days, and while I could withdraw the cash in my account - I cant figure out how to get to the crypto investments because it wont let me sell them.

Login to Me Too

lesankim
Contributor
Contributor

They just said I violated the rules? NO one can tell me when or how I did it, seems to be 1 sided. I have only 4,800.00 left in my crypto and it was at 10K. The time has been 210 days and NO ONE can get me my money out? Again seems 1 sided and they do what they want and brush you off. I even have one of there reps tell me to start another account and transfer, Which we know that will and can NOT happen. Anything to get you off the phone. I have made over 10 calls and sat on hold for HOURS and all I get is hold on or there is nothing that they can do??? Just ripping me off I believe as again it is 1 sided and can not tell me what I did. After 15 plus years using them??  Good luck as I believe everything will just be taken by PayPal.. Safe is not what I call them anymore. I have warned many people and hope they tell others!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.