Lack of recourse in the Paypal system. Can we talk to a real representative?

Temp20230506y
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered 8 gallons of paint from this webpage: [removed]

Never received any order confirmation, shipping/tracking email, and no product. So I opened a Paypal dispute in resolution center. Paypal closes the case in favor of seller based on seller providing a tracking number that shows a 3.5lb package delivered in the same city as my address. NOTE: The tracking number does NOT show that the package was delivered to my address, only a package delivered somewhere in town to "Front Door". 

This is obviously a fake tracking number. Since when does 8 gallons of paint weight 3.5lbs??? And, secondarily, my residence is gated, no tresspassing, and secure, and.... get this... doesn't even have a front door! (UPS has explicit instructions to enter and leave on a secure back porch area.) Therefore, it's not an issue of product being stolen. This is out in the country with no neighbors, no visibility. 

So 1) why on earth does Paypal not tell me when the seller responds and give me time to respond to their response??? Paypal knows about fake tracking number scams. And 2), why isn't there a way to reopen the case so I CAN respond and prove fraud? This is absurd and very frustrating.

Now that the case is "closed" there is no way to add details to prove that the tracking number is fake. Paypal's system is in fact perpetuating and enabling fraud in this case! And there seems to be no way to reach an actual person/representative at Paypal to overturn their inappropriate decision.

Question: How can I talk to a real person in Disputes to get this resolved/overturned? Or is Paypal fundamentally untrustworthy and when you get ripped off, they stand behind the fraudster? Maybe the moral of the story is to stop using Paypal and just use credit cards... at least the banks know how to handle chargebacks and fraud.

Angry at the fraud, but now angrier at Paypal!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20230506y 

Paypal is just a payment processor that gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection.
So disputes for non receipt of item are mostly automated. Seller provides tracking that shows delivery = seller wins.
So then its your turn to do some work to assist Paypal in recovering your purchase price from your seller.

Firstly ring Paypal customer services and tell them that the number is fake or that the item was shown as shipped before you purchased it. With that information they may well just issue you a refund.

Secondly if they don't then... APPEAL
To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your Paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Lily1960
Contributor
Contributor
I had ordered some thing for just around five dollars from debit card. It was a scam because inside somewhere there’s words that say there is a subscription and you’re gonna get $62 pulled out. It’s soon as it popped up. I canceled my connection to my bank account in my bank card. Because I didn’t know what it was or who it was. They immediately told me to decline. There was no spot for me to decline it. I got in and they are a piece of crap that I didn’t even order. Trying to message to the Center it’s like pulling teeth. Because it soon as they see something, they close the message even though they say they’re gonna leave it open. So I called Paypal. I called them when they agreed that the seller had the right to pull the money. I kept calling them because nowhere does it says there’s a subscription. It took changing the claim. Name, What kind of claim should be filed under. [Removed. Phone #s not permitted] they are on the west coast time. I called them constantly. They were making tickets on top ticket promise me that we get to the bottom of it. And even though I sent them proof, they kept telling me because it was a debit card. It Hass to go through the debit card department. But that number will get you to Paypal. The representative should be able to take you over to the debit card department. But also file a claim before your transferred to the debit card department. I called them constantly. They were making tickets on top tickets promise me that we get to the bottom of it. And even though I sent them proof, they kept telling me because it was a debit card. It Hass to go through the debit card department. But that number will get you to Paypal. The representative should be able to take you over to the debit card department. But also file a claim before you transferred to the debit card department. It took me six weeks, but I got my money back. One of the workers there at Paypal put the amount into my PayPal account as gift certificate from PayPal. Next day, I got my money back. I hope that helps.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.