Johns Mower Store

JohnboyJr
Contributor
Contributor

Is there anyway to verify a merchant prior to buying? I am looking at buying a product from Johns Mower Store in Indonesia but wanted to ask the community if they are legit or not? they accept Paypay and personal CC's. As they are overseas, I wanted to verify before buying. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks......

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

SGTTC15
New Community Member

It is a scam. Do not do it. I was reading other posts and to summarize their experience:

You purchase. 

They send an envelope with tracking. 

Envelope has a new request for payment to actually get item locally. 

You dispute. 
Maybe you win but for now you are out what you paid. 

Even if refunded PayPal likely out the amount of the purchase to the fake store. 

A couple similar stores have rising scam scores. 

So, do at your risk but if it looks too good to be true...it probably is. 

Login to Me Too

sisternatureco
Contributor
Contributor

I am SO thankful to PayPal for refunding my money. I bought a snowblower, then they sent GREAT communication & tracking so I felt very confident. Then, all of a sudden the tracking stopped in the U.S. I figured they transferred to a different shipping company so I contacted both JMS and the shipping company over a few weeks - NO REPLIES. That's when I called PayPal. They investigated & refunded the full amount. So grateful.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_RebeccaN

Hey @sisternatureco,

Thank you for posting in the PayPal Community! 

I am glad to hear that your issue was resolved very promptly and efficiently. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this kind feedback. I hope you continue to enjoy using PayPal. 

Have a lovely day! 

-Rebecca, 

Login to Me Too

GPC2
Contributor
Contributor
I just fell for it too - hopefully will get my money back soon - but how they don’t get removed from PayPal is beyond me?
Login to Me Too

KSD1990
New Community Member
I need help figuring out how to get my money back as I have made a purchase 3/9/22 for a lawn mower $1,300 and did not get it. Order #18970 NCE299653374750 is the Tracking number.
Login to Me Too

KSD1990
New Community Member
I made a purchase 3/09/22 for a lawn mower worth 1,300 and still haven't got my order NCE299653374750 is the tracking number and order ID is 18970 someone please help me
Login to Me Too

GPC2
Contributor
Contributor
You need to make a claim and then escalate with PayPal- it’s probably been long enough that you can do that right away by selecting the transaction - note in your claim that PayPal have been provided express notice of this scam and continue to facilitate it.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KSD1990 

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item OR service
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website (or you receive a totally different product).

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. Paypal will review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click on the transaction and use the resolve a problem option at the bottom of that details page.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

Do not close the dispute until you have a refund or your item.
If a seller states that they can't refund until you have closed the dispute don't believe them.
Escalate the dispute to a claim within 20 days (before it times out), if you need Paypal to get involved.

If you lose because the seller provides a fake tracking number then post back here for more advice.
If the item arrives and its not what you ordered / not as described then make sure you change the dispute quickly from non receipt. If the dispute times out before you can change it then contact customer services to open a second dispute for the new reason.

Activate the below link in case you have to return the item at Paypals request (or the correct one for your country as this is the U.S link).

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will issue a chargeback.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Curry65
New Community Member

Since I have been working in Indonesia, I am familiar with the ridiculous addresses they have, and I tried to look up the "store" from the address on their web page, thinking that they have a huge warehouse and/or shop there to accommodate all their stock. I did not find anything of that, not even an address with an office and a warehouse in the suburbs. If you Google Maps the company name only, a completely different address with a pin shows up, but there is nothing there either.

They must have gone through a huge effort to build up a company profile, with accurate pictures, product data, competitive prices, etc. If they have done a complete scam I must say that they have done a very good job. Knowing their English language skills I would say that they got help from someone from Europe or Northern America - with just about everything on the web page, even though most of the text i copied from other sites. Knowing a bit of their scam skills in that part of the World I would say that they got help with the whole concept too. They might even have set up a phone number, so when you call them they sound legit too - don't expect any English of some sort of quality though.

Apparently there are quite a few of these scammers in Indonesia: https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Security-and-Fraud/Lawn-mowers-from-overseas-sellers/td-p/216320...  I didn't know because I never had a need for buying a mower.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.