Jewelry Scam Help

docole725
Contributor
Contributor

A couple of weeks ago I clicked on an ad that came up on my Facebook feed claiming to be Kay Jewelry having a huge sale. My husband and I are renewing our vows in a couple of weeks and we purchased a band for each of us. I used paypal and when I got my email it showed a china receipt!!! I sent an email right that minute explaining I was upset at this scam and I wanted a refund immediately, I got on paypal and sent a complaint on fraud and I was denied any help. I got an email from the "Kay" company 3 days later stating they were sorry but it was shipped already and no refund would be given!!! Today I checked the tracking and it shows the frauds just mailed it 3 days ago, not 7! I am so upset! What can I do???

Login to Me Too
30 REPLIES 30

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sidnak 

I wouldn't do that. If you file a dispute for item received but not as described YOU would be the one that had to provide a tracking number to prove delivery of the item back to the seller.

The sellers tracking number would only track the item as delivered to you and refused.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Sidnak
Contributor
Contributor
Update: I refused the package. Escalated my claim with PayPal. I just got an email saying I won the dispute and PayPal is reimbursing me.
Login to Me Too

Jem2u
New Community Member

This company did not send real jewelry. It is fake and PayPal did nothing but allow the Company to said I received it and made me paid for it. Your best bet is to call PayPal and tell them it was not as described.

Login to Me Too

cwarr
Contributor
Contributor

I just want to know if falling for this is opening me up to identity theft? I can take being out the $50....but I am worried about ID theft..

has anyone had any problems like that?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @cwarr,

Welcome! This is a great question. I was able to collect a few resources for you regarding what information is and isn't shared in a transaction.

PayPal Privacy Hub

Privacy Policy FAQ's

Also, if you ever do click on a link or share information you don't want to share, I recommend checking out the "Safeguarding Your Account" portion of the following Help Center article: How do I spot and report a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email or website?

I hope that helps!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Luzma62
New Community Member

I also saw the ad and I bought a couple of rings, just to realize it was a scam the next day ( when I received confirmation of the order, and saw that the KAY Jewelers trademark logo didn't appear anywhere). I am going to contact KAY Jewelers to see if they can open an investigation about the use of their copyright trademark name, as well as the faking of their business' identity.

Login to Me Too

Nas388
New Community Member

t scammed also. I immediatly filed a dispute with paypal stating unauthorized purchase and explained about the scam that this seller claimed to be Kay Jeweler. I was denied by Paypal. Then I called and had them reopen a new case except the gal listed it as item nit recieved which was not what it was again. I took a screen shot of the purchase showing this person claiming to be Kay Jeweler and my purchase was january 3, 2022 and the screenshot showed a purchase date of Tuesday 04 January 2022 which was my 1st determination this was fraud. paypal then again denied the claim since the fraud seller sent paypal a tracking number and the item was recieved. As of today January 14, 2022 I am reopening a paypal claim under fraud since the item was not as decribed. The ring was not diamonds. It arrived in a Kay jeweler box and Kay doesn't give you a box with a Kay logo. You recieve your jewelry in a plain black box, plus this box with Kay logo was in silver letters and we all know Kay's logo is in GOLD. They sent this dispute to the seller with fraud and item not as described. Lucky my friend is a jeweler to identify the ring as fake

Login to Me Too

KeeBoyd
Contributor
Contributor
Did You Ever RECEIVE The Jewelry & Was It EXACTLY What You Ordered?
Login to Me Too

nanjebo
Contributor
Contributor

I received jewelry in a Jared box, but it was junk and not close to what i had ordered.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Craig

Hi @nanjebo,

Welcome to the Community!

This must be frustrating. If you're unable to resolve this with the merchant, it might be best to open a dispute through PayPal. As you're probably aware, when buyers pay with PayPal, PayPal Buyer Protection covers them in case there is a problem. If an item doesn’t arrive or is significantly not as described, we will help buyers get a full refund.

You can read how to open a dispute here

Thank you for your post,

Craig 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.