Jennifer <removed> scam

Stationerystill
Contributor
Contributor

I had this from Jennifer <removed> today. I was suspicious as nobody buys a boat blind and a courier cannot fetch a boat.

Great!please consider it sold and take the ads down off gumtree,i am buying it for my son  and i am ready to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast,sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities,i loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location Regarding the payment..i cant make an online banking am having technical issue with my bank and i can only access my PayPal account at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction kindly get back to me with your PayPal email,Phone Number and the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?Awaiting your reply soon...  

This is word for word the same as reported on this page a year ago. I tried to inform Pay Pal without sucess.

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

sheilamcg
New Community Member

Exactly the same wording about a caravan I am selling. I thought it was suspicious - glad I checked with the community.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sheilamcg 

@Stationerystill 

Scam has been going on for at least 15 years and I post the same information below at least 6 times a day sadly.

Pointless reporting it as they use disguised or hijacked email addresses and work from a public internet cafe in another continent normally.

Glad you were not caught out.

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk/spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled / working abroad / buying for a family member etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent or courier to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via anther payment processor than Paypal OR via providing some vouchers or tokens before the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item or car, they just want that couriers/shipping funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram, Western Union, Bank Transfer etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle or item that is collected by the buyer.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

'

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

e-sofas
New Community Member

We also received a similar email from Jennifer <removed>.

"Great! please consider it sold and take the ads down off gumtree,i am buying it for my son and i am ready to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast,sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities,i loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location .
Regarding the payment..i can't make an online banking am having technical issue with my bank and i can only access my PayPal account at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction kindly get back to me with your PayPal email,Phone Number and the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?
Awaiting your reply soon."

DO NOT TAKE THESE REQUESTS SERIOUSLY - LEGITIMATE SCAM

Login to Me Too

Rontaylor

This user name is still continuing this scam. Along with <removed> username. Same m.o. as previously mentioned by others. Please BEWARE 

Login to Me Too

Jambo02
Contributor
Contributor

Same here every time I sell something on gumtree.

Login to Me Too

joabmobut
New Community Member

i need some help with  my limited paypal

Login to Me Too

Outcastfan68
Contributor
Contributor

Just had the same wording trying to buy a car from gumtree !

Login to Me Too

zoltan_gal
New Community Member

LoL.  Just got the same today. I instantly took the add off and told them that don't have time for this :D. I don't sell it instead.

Login to Me Too

constantin26
Contributor
Contributor

Great!please consider it sold and take the ads down off gumtree:) i am buying it for my son  and i am ready to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast,sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities,i loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location Regarding the payment..i cant make an online banking am having technical issue with my bank and i can only access my PayPal account at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction kindly get back to me with your PayPal email,Phone Number and the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?Awaiting your reply soon...

same mee too

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.