How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?
You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item OR service
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website
By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.
If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. Paypal will review the claim and decide on reimbursement.
These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.
To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click on the transaction and use the resolve a problem option at the bottom of that details page.
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute
DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.
If you lose because seller provides a fake tracking number then post back for more advice.
If the item arrives and its tat then make sure you CHANGE the dispute quickly before it closes to not as described if too late contact customer services to open a second one for you.
If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will chargeback.
Also make sure you have activated the below link in case you have to return the item when Paypal requests you to...or correct one for your country.
Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Three weeks!! I have been waiting about six weeks. I am certain it is a scam, so I am going to cancel on my credit card; I suggest everyone do that same. When you call, you only get people reading a script -- though I imagine I can cancel that way, too. I certainly wish I had known before the summer! I p[lan to let people know on every site that this is a scam.
Haven't Found your Answer?
It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.
- Unable to open the "Resolution Centre" to respond to a dispute - website isn't loading the page in Security and Fraud
- I got scammed while using the familyfriendly payment option is a refund possible? in Security and Fraud
- Possible scam Buyer says i need to change to a business account so he can pay me?? in Security and Fraud
- PayPal wrongfully closed my dispute, it’s a service type and the seller gave fake evidence in Security and Fraud
- Refund without openning a dispute scam? in Security and Fraud