Is this a scam?

celineben

Someone in the US is sending me money. Is it true that I have to pay a fee before the money goes through into my paypal? 50$ fee for 1000$ transaction. They emailed me and asked me to purchase a 50$ gift card through "card delivery.com" and send them the card after i've purchased it & the 1000$ will immediately go into my account. Is this a scam?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@celineben 

PayPal DOES NOT use gmail. They have their own domain server name (PayPal.com). The email you received is fake! You were not paid by the buyer! The buyer is trying to scam money from you, not pay you. You can contact PayPal customer service and ask if you have any pending payments coming in:

Click HELP at the top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Say "Live Agent" to the automated recording.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@celineben 

That's a scam. PayPal charges a fee for receiving a goods and services payment but it is deducted from the amount the sender paid before goes in to your PayPal account.

PayPal never ask you to buy a gift card in order to see your payment in your account.

Login to Me Too

celineben

I recieved the email from paypal in/stant worldwide Fund at gmail com . Is that their legit customer service email address?

Login to Me Too

celineben

@sharpiemarker 

I recieved the email from <removed>. Is that their legit customer service email address?

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@celineben 

PayPal DOES NOT use gmail. They have their own domain server name (PayPal.com). The email you received is fake! You were not paid by the buyer! The buyer is trying to scam money from you, not pay you. You can contact PayPal customer service and ask if you have any pending payments coming in:

Click HELP at the top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Say "Live Agent" to the automated recording.

Login to Me Too

celineben

@sharpiemarker 

Okay thank you so much. I haven't sent them the gift card but I've already purhcased the Steam Wallet gift card. Now hoping they'd accept my refund 😞

Login to Me Too

xnxxash
New Community Member
i did this exact same thing oh my lord
Login to Me Too

Thembelihle
Did you finally get your money?
Login to Me Too

Unmxsked
New Community Member

I had the same thing where someone was offering to pay me £500 but i needed to buy a steam gift card from that same website. Something seemed very wrong lol.

Login to Me Too

PiggyK1020
Contributor
Contributor
No it's not
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.