Is it a scam?

bsbeck
Contributor
Contributor

Received money from someone I don't know. I assume this is a scam. How do I handle it?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bsbeck 

Why should it always be a scam and not someone making a typo or spelling error with an email address and the payment going awry?

Reach out to them and offer to click on the transaction and use the 'refund' option bottom of that details page?

But first check you were not charged a fee (also would show on that details page), if so then offer a part refund (minus the fee as it was their error) as you would not get back the fee as part of any refund that you make.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bsbeck 

Why should it always be a scam and not someone making a typo or spelling error with an email address and the payment going awry?

Reach out to them and offer to click on the transaction and use the 'refund' option bottom of that details page?

But first check you were not charged a fee (also would show on that details page), if so then offer a part refund (minus the fee as it was their error) as you would not get back the fee as part of any refund that you make.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Ausira
Contributor
Contributor

There must be a new scam - I have also received funds from strangers, sometimes on a daily basis or several in a day. I had contacted PayPal when it first started in September/October, but they couldn't really give good advice, as one of the payments resulted in a charge-back with fees against my account. I'm very tired of it and wish I could just block my account for deposits for now.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.