IS "American Coradius Internacional LLC" scam???

safesafesafe
New Community Member

Today I received a letter from these people who told me that I had a PayPal debt of 905 dollars, with a web address to go and log me in with some numbers, which were in the letter. I would like to know what you think of this?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_JonK

Hello @SteveSch, @TheFailanx, and everyone,

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear there's some confusion regarding a letter from ACI and / or a debt that may be owed. I can confirm that ACI is a legitimate agency that works with PayPal to collect a debt owed. However, if the debt is a result of identity fraud, unbeknownst to you, or related to another unique circumstance such as a bankruptcy or a deceased PayPal customer, please reach out to our Collections teams with the information in the following Help Center article to review what options may be available: What should I do if my balance is negative?

It is also important to recognize spam / phishing attempts. If you receive a letter from ACI and expect it to be spam / phishing, please reach out to ACI directly via their contact information located on their site here.

Thanks for reaching out and best wishes!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
48 REPLIES 48

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@safesafesafe 

That's PayPal's debt collector. ACI. Do you owe 905 dollars? Call PayPal customer service about your account and if it sends you directly to debt collection company then you have to get that sorted. If you have no reason to believe you owe this, delete the email.

Contact customer service for assistance:

Click HELP at the top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Jonny316
Contributor
Contributor

That is not correct. I called PayPal customer service and explained the whole matter. Was told they had no idea what I was talking about and that I had to contact 'PayPal Credit' and gave me their phone number. Called that number and was (eventually) told that it had nothing to do with PayPal Credit that there was no reason to have been referred to them by customer service.

Bottom line is that to protect yourself you ->have<- to write these ACI fraudsters and dispute the debt, otherwise they can claim it was a valid debt because you did not dispute it. While many people say that ACI is authorized to handle PayPal collections - the people at PayPal customer service AND PayPal Credit both said that they had never heard of them and this "must be a fraud". Worse - to CYA you have to send the dispute letter via registered mail so it will cost you about $10 to send a dispute letter and obtain proof that you did.

While it may not be PayPal's fault that the fake debt was issued to their 'authorized collection agency', since this fraud has been going on since around 2016 you would hope that their customer service department - not to mention PayPal Credit - would have some basic knowledge about these ongoing fraudulent collection attempts being done in their name.

Login to Me Too

ESR3

Call PayPal they will confirm this is a scam and fraud

Login to Me Too

CHA72

Jonny316 is absolutely correct (Thank you for posting Jonny!).

I experienced the same situation. Do NOT ignore the letter you receive from American Coradius International. Do NOT contact the company directly. Contact PayPal directly to resolve the issue. The phone number I received over the phone from PayPal Credit (after a VERY involved and LONG wait), was to call[Removed. Phone #s not permitted](fraud unit) because it was NOT my PayPal Credit that was compromised; it was my actual PalPal account.  The fraud unit is most helpful and can resolve the issue. They will also give you a ticket number so you can refer to it should you desire to track the progress OR have questions regarding your reporting of any fraud. 

My situation: I received a letter from American Coradius International (the collection company for PayPal), stating I owed money that was now in collection. I did NOT owe the money and the amount NEVER appeared in my PayPal account. Long story short, my account had been compromised BY TWO OTHER PEOPLE who I did not know. There was NO indication that my PayPal account had been compromised until I received the letter from American Coradius. 

After speaking with the Fraud Unit: I immediately changed my password to my email account associated with PayPal. 

I hope this post will help others in the same situation.  

Login to Me Too

Smsercu
Hi I’m going through the same thing right now and tried to explain this to the PayPal rep on the phone with no help. Is it possible to give the number to the fraud unit on here without typing the number out? For example six, seven, five, zero etc?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @Smsercu

Welcome to the PayPal Community! 

I'm sorry you're having difficulty resolving a possible negative balance with Customer Support. We have a few different methods for contacting Customer Support, and you may find one of the other options more useful. You can locate the different options to contact PayPal's Customer Support on our Help Center here: How do I contact PayPal's Customer Service? If you have a PayPal Credit account or a different PayPal-branded product that might have fallen past due, you may need to reach out to them directly. 

I hope this information helps you reach the Customer Support you need! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

princesswaldren
New Community Member

I believe it's not a scam, but fraud.

An account was set up in my mother's name, but the e-mail address that was associated with the account did not match my mother's e-mail addresses.  We now have a letter from Aermican Coradius International LLC (which is a legitimate collection agency that PayPal uses) stating she owes $313.81.

Going to work with PayPal to get the account closed and deleted.

Login to Me Too

TahjGFX
Contributor
Contributor
Hello this is regarding what you did to solve your problem I am in the same situation looking for a solution. Thankyou.
Login to Me Too

sarahzabriskie1
New Community Member

I got a letter today too reporting I owed $198.58, very scary .... same company and saying PayPal...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.