I was scammed, dispute closed, can't reopen. What now?

immanitas
Contributor
Contributor

I was tricked by a fake website, purchase made, figured it out shortly after.

PayPal constantly denies dispute even after I provide proof that the website is now no longer active. Started dispute as billing, constant dispute denials, tried changing to refund but always failed. Closed to try and start another. Now I can't do anything.

Paypal seems to not care that they are allowing scammers to use their services to scam people. I know my fault, but I thought they would care enough to suggest something or reach out somehow and maybe actually look at everything provided. How do I open a new dispute or get them to try and help me?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

Photau
Contributor
Contributor

I was scammed by 

[removed]
Glendale , Ca 

•   I sent Panasonic My Mini Dv deck to: 
  • [removed]
  • Glendale , Ca
  • I sent it in December of 2020 to be repaired. After many delays and periods of no communication they sent me a bill for $379.25 in April of 2021. I paid with PayPal they sent me someone else's deck. I sent that deck back to them. They still had my $379.25
  • I have been attempting to get them to either repair my deck or send me my money back ever since.  Multiple phone calls, lots of promises, no follow through.
  • Just today Jan 24th 2022 I received from them a replacement Mini DV camera that I could have potentially used as as deck to import Mini DV tapes. 
  • It does not work, it will not import footage without destroying the timecode. No clip lasts for more than a second. It can not record sound cleanly, there is horrible static on any footage recorded. It turns on, but is otherwise not functional. I tested both recording and importing on multiple tapes. 
  • They did also returned my Mini DV deck, it was not repaired.
  • I called them to let them know that I need my money back. They put me on hold, then they hung up on me. I tried to call back, they blocked my number.
  • I want a refund, I will gladly send the non working replacement camera back to them.

As far as I am concerned, PayPal is helping them rip me off. Why should there be a time limit on righting a wrong?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Photau 

Even credit cards give you a time limit of between 120 and 180 days (company and country dependent).

After that you can pursue your own legal action if that is an option.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@immanitas 

Well a billing dispute would only work if you were charged incorrectly by the website.

What you should have done was open a dispute for non receipt of item and then if the item arrived and was not what you wanted change it to a dispute for received but not as described.

You are allowed x1 dispute per transaction so its best to read up on buyer protection or ask questions on here first if you are not sure. You have up to 180 days to open a dispute so there is no rush to open one for any reason you can think of.

Paypal are a business, they offer buyer protection but to get it you need to go down the correct route as per paypals buyer protection policy.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

problemsolved
Contributor
Contributor

You are correct.  I was scammed by a Chinese outfit.  No phone #, no email, no address provided by the seller.

I MISFIled--called it a "billing dispute."  Paypal turned it down.  

Paypal should have sent me information to refile.  They did not even suggest that.  They closed the case and now I cannot refile correctly.

I called Paypal.  The lady said, "I should refile the case and tell them why."  This representative should have known better.

Now, two weeks later--no correspondence from the merchant.  No merchandise.

Fake website used.  I definitely should have realized--IF it is too good to be true..PASS!

Suggestion.....Paypal must change guidelines.  If the case is misfiled by the complainant, then PayPal should inform the customer of what to do to refile.

Fortunately, I did pay with my credit card.  The CC company is looking into this, and I'm sure it will come out in my favor.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Dian

Hey @problemsolved

Thanks you for posting. I am really sorry to hear about the bad experience that you had. I understand that your claim was closed because an incorrect dispute was filed. If you are not able to reopen the dispute yourself, you can contact us to reopen it for you.  This way we can still help you to resolve this. When a chargeback is filed we can no longer help, but if anything like this happens again please contact us so we can refile the dispute for you. You can contact us through the 'Help & contact' link at the bottom of our website or through Twitter and Facebook. 

Dian

Login to Me Too

immanitas
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all for your responses! looks like I am out of luck on this one then unless I go through my bank. I wasn't aware of the 1 dispute rule even though that doesn't seem fair that I can't reopen the same one, say I have new evidence or need to change it from Billing to refund. 

May reach out to customer service and see what they say, but I am never on when they are available.

Thanks again!

Login to Me Too

LCrawford40
New Community Member

I am in the same situation.  I just found out a few minutes ago.  

Login to Me Too

Caroline2323
New Community Member
I was scammed too and PayPal doesn’t seem to care do they. Even when they know the seller lied etc they allow it. Something g is wrong here.
Login to Me Too

thgeddi
Contributor
Contributor
I got scammed with a fake Bose headphones advert from memoryaisle.com ! The stuff that arrived was not Bose and now I’m haggling with the seller to get a refund even though I inform PayPal that the goods are fake !
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.