I want to report a scammer account! How do I do that!?

mmb_1
Contributor
Contributor

I want to report a scammer account.  This person said they would sell me tickets to an event and then disappeared after I paid them via paypal.  They are clearly fraudulent and scamming people. I want to report the account so this doesn't happen to anyone else.  Shame on me for falling for it.  I have tried opening a dispute, a claim, messaging the message centre and they are all dead ends.  Paypal should have a way to report fraud!   Does anyone know how to report a scammer account?! 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mmb_1 

Unless they are a seller that does that on a regular basis then that's unlikely.

You sent him a 'gift' of money, as it was a gift then no purchase was paid for, if it was then you would have used goods/services.

You can try a chargeback via your credit card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way?

However choosing that option was clearly incorrect if he was not a close mate/friend OR a family member. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mmb_1 

Depends how you paid.

If you used the goods/services option then not sure why your claim for non receipt failed?

However if you sent a 'gift' of money using the friends/family option then sadly you negated that protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mmb_1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I sent it as a "gift" because that is what the seller asked me to do.  I am really not familiar with using PayPal to send money to an individual (I usually e-transfer from my bank).  I realize that I am the dumb one and am out of luck for the money but I want to REPORT this person's account so PayPal can shut them down.

'

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mmb_1 

Unless they are a seller that does that on a regular basis then that's unlikely.

You sent him a 'gift' of money, as it was a gift then no purchase was paid for, if it was then you would have used goods/services.

You can try a chargeback via your credit card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way?

However choosing that option was clearly incorrect if he was not a close mate/friend OR a family member. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.