I sold a Phone, now PayPal wants me to Pay to recieve the money

Nspeed
Contributor
Contributor

I sold a Phone, and shipped It off to United Kingdom. Now PayPal wants me to Pay a transaction fee of 83% of the sales Price Via Azimo.com to a Private person called Michael <removed>. PayPal supposedly writes me an email saying that because of brexit there are new laws. They claim to have deducted extra money from the buyers account and Will release my funds whenever i have payed 5000 DKK to a reciepient, and sent them the transaction number Is this a scam? Is smells like a scam.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Nspeed
Contributor
Contributor
I just wrote PayPal customer support, and they confirmed that the mail, with the transaction ID was fraudulent. So the mail was certainly af spoof. But regarding your reference to the spoof mail guide. This Email was setup in such a way that you could not tell the difference between a fake mail and a genuine mail. It was only the transaction ID that gave It away.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @Nspeed

Welcome to the PayPal Community! 

From what you've described, it doesn't sound like a PayPal email. We wouldn't require the seller to pay for any additional fees outside of the normal processing fees. I recommend referring to our Help Center article: How do I spot a fake email? to determine if the email was sent from PayPal.

I hope this helps! 

- Meghan 

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too
Solved

Nspeed
Contributor
Contributor
I just wrote PayPal customer support, and they confirmed that the mail, with the transaction ID was fraudulent. So the mail was certainly af spoof. But regarding your reference to the spoof mail guide. This Email was setup in such a way that you could not tell the difference between a fake mail and a genuine mail. It was only the transaction ID that gave It away.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nspeed 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a direct Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails may go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Once you have become a victim they may try again with more fake Paypal emails with other reasons that you must send them a payment for custom fees / to verify, expand or upgrade an account.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram, Western Union, Bank Transfer or any sort of gift token or voucher.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.