I received a letter in the mail from a debt collector saying I owe Paypal money. Is this a scam?

Temp20220615C
New Community Member

I received a letter in the mail from a debt collector saying I owe Paypal money. Is this a scam? I have never had a negative balance on my account. My account has always been in good standing. I suspect someone may have stole my information or something. It was sent to my old American address and I now live in Europe. Do I even need to do anything about this? I can't exactly call the number listed on the Paypal site because that would cost me too much and probably isn't even worth it.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Michael

Hello, @rexyb1213. Thanks for taking the time to add your concern here on the PayPal Community Forum. I understand how receiving a letter from a debt collector would pose a concern. Here's what I can tell you.

If you believe your information may have been stolen and used to create a PayPal account that then ended up with a negative balance, it would be best to notify PayPal so the situation could be reviewed. We can't take action based on messages posted to the Community, but you may contact PayPal via Facebook or Twitter (in addition to using the Contact page on the website), and a request for review can be arranged.

You may send a Private Message via Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/paypal) or you may send a Twitter Direct Message to @AskPayPal. You also may be able to use the Contact page on the website to communicate via a secure chat. Log on to your PayPal account, click Contact at the bottom of any page, and then select the topic that best fits your concern. Work through the prompts/links the bot offers to reach a Representative.

I hope this is helpful. Thanks for your patience during this time.

Sincerely,

Michael
PayPal_Michael

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.