I received 19,000 USD and the sender is asking for a refund

alex_wolf
New Community Member

I received a payment from someone for 19,000 USD and the sender is asking for the money back. I do want to send the money back but I hear about chargeback scams and all kinds of weird things happening and I don't know this person. Is there any risk for me if I click on the refund button?

Could I end up getting charged this amount from my account and then them also disputing it and charging me another 19,000 and me being stuck with the bill?

Why doesn't paypal just refund the money if they asked paypal to do so and explained that it was a mistake?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

alex_wolf
New Community Member

Better yet, how can I get paypal to do this for me so there is no risk in it for me?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Donna

Hello @alex_wolf,

Welcome to the PayPal community and thank you for your post.

You will need to weigh up the risk involved if you issue a refund. Why does the sender want a refund? Have you dealt with them before? They can file a chargeback anyway once they send a payment to you and the recent activity in your PayPal account will show a history of all payments in and out of your account.

It's very unlikely they will be refunded twice. 

-Donna

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.