I have been scammed

Altand07
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. I'm afraid I've been the victim of a particularly nasty scam on FB marketplace. Purchased a switch and the seller subsequently cut all ties with me and deleted his account.  I have details of the seller's supposed phone number and a few paypal accounts (he used multiple), if that helps. I've tried reporting the incident to Paypal, but the only option its giving me to report was unauthorized account activity, which they closed. Please help me out, as Im down £140 pounds now!!!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Altand07 

It appears you had sent payment as friends and family because the only option to dispute is Unauthorized Account Activity. There’s no buyer protection with friends and family payments. You essentially sent a ‘gift’ payment.

Only buy electronic devices from reputable, trusted major retailers or from brand store direct. Or send payment as “Paying for item or service”. A scammer can buy ads; the cycle repeats. You may report PayPal account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Altand07
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply.  I was unaware that family means I can't dispute it, but it definitely falls in line with what happened in retrospect. Are there any options I can use to claim my money back? Or have I just lost £140? I'm really looking for any solution here. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.