I got scammed trough friends and family

Gustav6
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I just got scammed when I was going to buy a jacked online from a reseller. I thought everything was legit and he was very polite in the beginning. We agreed that I was going to pay 320 euros for that jacket. He told me that I needed to send it through friends and family because otherwise, he wouldn't get the money immediately. He told me that he needed the money for shipping and he kind of manipulated me into trusting him. I sent the money and he told me that he would send the package the next day. He said that he sent it but without any tracking, I knew that he was lying because dhl doesn't support untracked shipping, so I told him that something was wrong. He blocked me on Instagram, so I got on to my second account and started to text him, then he said that he scammed me and tried to make fun of me. I have a screenshot of our chat and evidence of him telling me that he scammed me. If I show Paypal the proof that he scammed me do you guys think that I might get my money back because I really need it. It's a lot of money for me. 

Thanks, guys have a nice day. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gustav6 

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his Paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

You would also not be able to open a dispute (apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction), which would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

Be careful as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules and can lead to account limitation.

If you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Gustav6
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass But it feels so weird because here I have proof that he is a scammer and Paypal is just going to neglect it, I have screenshots from messages where he says yes I'm a scammer. There must be something Paypal can do, terminate his account? Contact his bank? They must be able to stop scammers to scam more people. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gustav6 

The point is that he can't have scammed you because you didn't purchase anything, if you had you would have used the goods/services option.

So you sent him a 'gift' of money as you sent it via friends/family and Paypal will not reimburse you for that unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.