I got scammed by a website

Mau878
Contributor
Contributor
I found a website called “Novaties” apparently selling clothes, I bought some items for a total of $150 and I realized after paying that the website is probably a scam, I’ve done a research online and I found a lot of reviews saying that this a scammy website that keeps changing domains, all this happened today and I just filed a dispute on the resolution center, I did not made the payment as a guest I did it through my PayPal account, so I should be protected right? Has anyone experienced something similar? And if so you got your refund?
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mau878 

Hope you opened a dispute for non receipt of item which is the only dispute appropriate at this stage?

I hope you did NOT open one for unauthorised???

If so then escalate to a claim and if you do not get your item you should get a refund BUT post back if they supply fake tracking and the dispute is closed for information on how to appeal.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Mau878
Contributor
Contributor
I did opened one for unauthorized, and my dispute got closed, I don’t see a button to appeal the resolution or to escalate to a claim on the app or the website, should I call customer service?
Login to Me Too

Danc107
New Community Member

I also got scammed by a website. Ordered a $67.00 mower which I thought was a scam but thought PayPal would protect me. I received a $5 hand held little flowerbox size trimmer with fishing line in unmarked package. Seller claims I got my item and PayPal closed the case. WARNING I found many of these same sights advertising on Yahoo home page selling mowers clothes and pocket knives. All seem to be same set up. The only contact info is an outlook email address and no response back. 

Login to Me Too

Mau878
Contributor
Contributor
Yep, I’m thinking about just contacting my bank and do a chargeback, does anyone know if that works in these cases?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mau878 

A dispute for an unauthorised transaction is telling paypal that your account was hacked and used without your consent to make that transaction.
Paypal would check IP addresses and devices and close the dispute if it was you that made the transaction.

You are only allowed 1 dispute per transaction so the only way you can get a second dispute opened is to contact Paypal (when and if you can) and see if they will open a second dispute for you.
They may decline citing policies but if you say what happened then they might open a second dispute for you.

If not then if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then consider contacting your card issuer and see if they will help you with a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.