How to reopen a closed disputed case

bobchi
Contributor
Contributor

How do I reopen a disputed closed case.  I was the victim of a fraudulent Keen store fake website for $79.  The fraudster included two USPS tracking numbers that they somehow obtained.  However, those tracking numbers are for Amazon shipments and unrelated.  Also, why are there 2 tracking numbers for one shipment.  PayPal said that the shipper provided proof of purchase and closed the case.  I want to open it and show PayPal that those two shipping numbers are for Amazon, which I can prove.  There is no way to do it on the website.  I tried to send a message, but it only lets me start a new claim, not open one.  I tried to phone customer service, but after much around around, is said it would transfer me to an agent.  At that point it said there are no agents, please contact customer service via our website and hung up on me.  How do I reopen the claim so I can prove the fraud?

Login to Me Too
62 REPLIES 62

KhanadaSC
They just did that very same thing to me (seller advertised a solar pool skimmer and the only package that arrived that wasn’t specifically ordered was a makeup brush). PayPal has closed the case as the seller claims I’ve received my item, yet I have not, and they run a similar scam with comments on the various new advertisements stating a similar issue, demanding shipping paid to return to China. Shame on you, PayPal. This is hardly what I would consider protecting your customers.
Login to Me Too

johlin
Contributor
Contributor

This is almost exactly what happened to me! I ordered two electric bikes but received two N95 face masks!!!! I paid US $139 per bike and the scammers sent me $1 worth of crap I don't need. I made the mistake of not providing many details because I thought I'd have an opportunity to give more later. The Chinese company proved that they "delivered" something so my case was closed and now I have no idea of how to dispute this. My blood pressure is through the roof!!! What can I do???

Login to Me Too

RJSwhitesox77
New Community Member
Same situation...except a bogus website posing as a Yeti dealer scammed me for $79. I immediately disputed the charge when I noticed the vendor was in China. PayPal denied my claim saying the seller provided tracking info saying the merchandise was delivered. A Yeti cooler was never delivered...but a single face mask arrived from China.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RJSwhitesox77 

Contact customer services and tell them, they should refund or open a new dispute for not as described for you?

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones when available (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bobchi 

APPEAL

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.
Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page, however that may not be an option at the moment due to covid), or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

EastTexasGirl
Contributor
Contributor
Can you appeal a denial if you received the item but it wasn't what you ordered?
Login to Me Too

alexationofsort
Contributor
Contributor
Hi what if the item was never shipped and is still with the seller. No tracking was ever sent? My problem with this seller i bought an item from him and saw another shirt i liked. I requested him if he could reserve the second short for me fora few days while waiting for my salary to de deposited to my account. Mt reason was to be able to save on shipping if both items were to be shipped together. He flatly said no. He will ship out the shirt right away. I pleased for him wait but he didnt. So i instead filed for a refund and told him i will just bit the two shorts together the following week. Well i guess since it was the pandemic, he was not able to ship the first short out do he finally agreed to wait (not because he wanted to but because he had no other choice), bit on the condition i close the case. I did as requested and everything was ok. This happened first of June. Up until the items have not been shipped but i must stress that it is not his fault since his post office wont accept outbound packages to the Philippines. I decided to just refund the items and it was ok for me though he wont refund it to me straight as i requested. He gold me to fill a refund with paypal. I hot the refund for the $95.00 shirt bit for the $80.00 shirt i did not. According to paypal they could not fo anything because i closed the case. I CLOSED THE CASE BECAUSE OF ANOTHER CIRCUMSTANCE AND REASON, NOW THAT I HAVENT RECEIVED MY ORDER, I AM NOT PROTECTED ANYMORE? WHAT CAN AND SHOULD I DO? Please help. philippine credit card laws will not refund any transaction unless go get a written authorization from the merchant that he is willing to refund you your transaction. Credit cards in the philippines are more PRO-MERCHANT.
Login to Me Too

alexationofsort
Contributor
Contributor

With regards to my case, paypal, wouldnt entertain my case also as i has closed a case with the said seller at the beginning of the transaction. He wanted to post the item on the same day i purchased it. I told if he can hold on for a few days as i plan to purchase another shirt from him and i would prefer that both items shipped at the same time. At first he did not oblige so i decided to cancel the transaction but he later agreed because he could not ship out the first item as there was a ban on ourbound items to philippines.

Since we settled, i closed the case. 

But then after several months a=had passed and he still could shipout, i opted to refund both purchases. he told me to deal with Paypal which i did, The first transaction was not refunded as Paypal insisted that the case has been closed and cannot be opened. I quickly got a refund for the second. I has to go back to GRAILED, to beg them to try to get the refund i deserved. They succeeded and i have GRAILED to thank for.

I feel Paypal sometimes has a one track mind when when settling disputes. I sometimes dont understand their logic. Also just a word of advise before you purchase anything from suppliers from China, check their reviews. It the modus of a lot of online sellers to send cheap items  in replacement for something you ordered. In that way, they have a tracking number to submit to Paypal in order to claim payment.

Do you have  copy of the transaction with the item number, photo and price? you can use that and send with you letter of refund. Attach the transaction details and a compare i5 with the copy of the item you received. That way even if the seller refutes they sent out your order, you can challenge that the item your ordered did not arrive. 

Sorry the letter was kinda long, but i hope it helps.

Login to Me Too

Jpcramirez55
Contributor
Contributor

I was scammed for a product online and I immediately reported it on PayPal customer service. They said they will look into it and after a few days I received a message that the dispute was closed in my favor and the amount on my credit card was moved. But later on after a few months my credit card company placed the amount again on my credit card bill and said that the dispute was reopened and now closed in favor of the scammer without me receiving any emails or message on PayPal. Question is should I pay the amount because due is near, or should I contact/call PayPal about this issue? I hope anyone could help me on this matter. Thank you so much!

Login to Me Too

realob1
Contributor
Contributor

While this topic seems to have gathered a lot of interest, the sheer fact that PayPal allows this to happen in a fair indicator that because the accept the fee from the seller, when they close a dispute or claim placed against a fraudulent seller, they are, in fact, aiding and abetting a criminal act for the purpose of compensation.  First, exhaust all avenues of reasonable action to resolve the case.  Unfortunately, in the case of a fraudulent, vile, lowlife seller, you will not be able to communicate with them (not sure how PayPal does it?).  Next step is to contact PayPal directly by using the instruction and information in this link <removed>.  This clearly outlines what to do in the event PayPal is complacent and actively involved in the fraud. There is a good chance that PayPal will delete portions of this text because it fails their guidelines, but do a internet search on "small claims PayPal" and you will find a good link.  Subjectively, to Ben Longhurst (if that is your real name), you are despicable, and a poor excuse for a human being preying on customers who act in good faith.  As a close, if all customers who were affected by this type of fraud and complicit behavior by PayPal sued in small claims court, they may take notice because eventually, it would affect PayPal's bottom line. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.