How to reopen a closed disputed case

bobchi
Contributor
Contributor

How do I reopen a disputed closed case.  I was the victim of a fraudulent Keen store fake website for $79.  The fraudster included two USPS tracking numbers that they somehow obtained.  However, those tracking numbers are for Amazon shipments and unrelated.  Also, why are there 2 tracking numbers for one shipment.  PayPal said that the shipper provided proof of purchase and closed the case.  I want to open it and show PayPal that those two shipping numbers are for Amazon, which I can prove.  There is no way to do it on the website.  I tried to send a message, but it only lets me start a new claim, not open one.  I tried to phone customer service, but after much around around, is said it would transfer me to an agent.  At that point it said there are no agents, please contact customer service via our website and hung up on me.  How do I reopen the claim so I can prove the fraud?

Login to Me Too
62 REPLIES 62

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EastTexasGirl 

You are only allowed 1 dispute per transaction so the only way you can get a second dispute opened is to contact Paypal (when and if you can) and see if they will open a second dispute for you.
They may decline citing policies but if you say the previous claim was closed before you could change it they may do so (if that is what happened).

If not then if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then consider contacting your card issuer and see if they will help you with a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

realob1
Contributor
Contributor

Very true.  Unfortunately, there is a marked difference between "may", "can", "could", and "shall".  Paypal has no financial incentive, on a single transaction, to advocate for the customer in the event of a fraud.  The still collect their fee, even from the scammer.  It is in their (Paypal's) best interest to NOT handle disputes/claims correctly.  This "wastes" time and possibly eliminates the kickback Paypal receives from the fraudulent seller.  The only way, again, to force Paypal to do the right thing is to spread the word for anybody affected by this type of scam that Paypal has aided and abetted, to file in small claims court and preferably ask for a court hearing instead of mediation.  If there are enough of these cases, Paypal and its minion of attorneys might be tied up in court, thus causing some financial discomfort, which "may" cause Paypal to sit up and notice.  Again, the best approach is to be suspicious of everybody, assume there are no truly credible sellers, keep gobs of documentation, never direct pay to Paypal (use a credit card), and assume the only advocate for you is you!

Login to Me Too

realob1
Contributor
Contributor

Credit where credit is due.  I just received a message from Paypal informing me that I will be refunded the amount in dispute.  This was after I produced documentation from UPS and screen shot of actual sale.  Thank you Paypal, and for readers, I repeat again, keep documents of everything, because the only advocate for you is you!

Login to Me Too

realob1
Contributor
Contributor

Just fully digested your recommendation...specifically the part about "if that's what happened" in Paypal closing this case.  

"We have reviewed this transaction(s) and are denying your case(s). This decision was made because we received shipment tracking from the merchant confirming that the merchandise was delivered."

Again, not my tracking number, and Paypal does not give the customer any option to dispute AFTER the fraudulent seller provides "proof" of delivery.  While I appreciate the critical nature of your response, the rest of the suggestion is there with "candy canes and flowers for everybody"...won't happen with Paypal if it means they will not get their fees.

Login to Me Too

dawgsncats
Contributor
Contributor
I had the same problem. Not my tracking number.
Login to Me Too

EastTexasGirl
Contributor
Contributor
I have tried to contact PayPal and everytime i do they say my claim has been denied and it won't let me go any farther. Seems like paypal should know these people are scamming us cause we all have the same complaints. The seller waits til time is almost up and they send paypal a tracking # and prove its been sent but when we receive it it's not what we ordered. I received a email from 1 of the sellers that said they were sorry i was unhappy with my order and they would refund my money but it would cost me more to ship the item back than i would receive.
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
This is my issue also. The seller should be responsible for return freight. My claim was closed because I asked for funds to ship the incorrect items back. PayPal closed because I didn't supply return tracking details. I'm not paying 50 dollars to ship an item to China. PayPal need to protect buyers from fraudulent sellers.
Login to Me Too

L8Bluemer
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information.  I thought the fraudsters were the big problem, but have been subjected to the Paypal denial, as well.  It took almost three months of waiting because PayPal kept extending the conclusion date.  By the time I realized the seller has sent me a package of face masks, and not a sewing machine, it was too late.  So I guess the old mantra, "buyer beware" is really true, unfortunately it was the people I trusted that I needed to beware of.

Login to Me Too

Sebock5
Contributor
Contributor
Absolute WORST customer service experience HANDS down. Ordered a hammock online from a FB ad and received a cheap plastic ring instead. Provided a huge amount of supporting documentation from my receipt (clearly stating that I purchased a hammock) to tracking info to delivery info to an actual picture of the package and the item I received instead. This was back in July! Every single resolution date was pushed back by PayPal. Try to call and you’re on hold forever waiting for an agent. Finally get a message through and receive a response that I need to submit a form with the fbi of all places? I questioned this and they closed my case in a week citing I didn’t provide the requested info. Can’t get a response at all from them now. I’m the victim here and they clearly want to protect the fraudsters. I’m definitely selling the small claims route that another poster shared earlier. I’m reading all these comments on here - I can see I’m definitely not alone dealing with PayPal’s deceptive dealings.
Login to Me Too

Sis417
Paypal is on PAYPAL'S SIDE. AN ANGRY EMPLOYEE CLOSED MY ACCOUNT BECAUSE I COULDN'T UNDERSTAND HER ACCENT!!! NOW IT SAYS " YOU CANNOT USE PAYPAL OR ITS SERVICES. HOW DO I GET AROUND THAT- I AT LEAST WANT MY MONEY THAT'S IN MY ACCOUNT.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.