How to protect myself as a seller on Facebook Marketplace?

SMarie05
Contributor
Contributor

I tend to stick to official selling sites, but I have a higher price item (mobile phone) that I am trying to save money on the large fees. I have listed on both Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree. I am very aware it is a hive for scammers (having been scammed previously with fake notes). However I am also aware that sellers are probably deemed the bigger scammers. I really want to reassure any buyers, so put as much detail in as I can & I included screenshots showing my 100% positive feedback across the three selling sites I use. I said I would be happy to accept bank transfer or PayPal and I initially said I was happy to accept goods and services (if they are happy to cover the fees) but have since learnt there is no seller protection on items that are collected locally. Also from reading other posts, I see it doesn’t really help anyway, as even if they offered to return it to me, they could send me a lump of coal and as long as it was tracked and showed I received it, they would win. I really can’t afford to be out of pocket and without the phone. I would just like to know how best to protect myself? Or do I just not give PayPal as an option? Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SMarie05 

There is always risk.

If you can’t afford possibility of full loss, sell it locally; pick up, in cash. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SMarie05 

There is always risk.

If you can’t afford possibility of full loss, sell it locally; pick up, in cash. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.