How to dispute a payment that is still authorising (with UPS)

therealsumsum
New Community Member

On the 14th of November I paid UPS £91.59 to ship a parcel (the parcel was actually booked in the day before on the 13th). The parcel was to go to the United States and so required commercial invoices to accompany the parcel. Said invoices were handed to the driver at the point of collection as per UPS' instruction. On the 19th I checked the tracking details to find the parcel was still in the depo just a few miles away, and had not been shipped due to the commercial invoices being missing. Since the 19th (today is the 25th) I have been spending hours on the phone to their useless customer service helpline, which, having gone to the depo in person, is apparently the only way you can resolve issues with the company. The helpline is simply people on the other side of the world who speak poor English and cannot deviate from their scripts, they are truly useless. However, I have persisted and persisted to try and resolve the matter, but today, without my knowledge or consent, I received the parcel back at my house, which, having gone to the depo again, I now know voids the entire booking, and I have spent £91.59 for absolutely nothing other than a weeks worth of stress and massive loss of time. Having spent more time now on the phone to the useless customer service helpline, there is nothing they can do, and apparently a refund is not something they can or will do.

I have tried to open a dispute with PayPal, but the payment is currently still authorising, which I believe may be due to UPS having to confirm delivery before taking payment, which inevitably they will do any time now since it has been returned to me.

Because it is still authorising, I cannot open a dispute. Does anybody know how I can open a dispute anyway, or potentially stop the payment authorising and prevent UPS from taking a payment for a service they failed to provide? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @therealsumsum,

Welcome to the PayPal Community and thank you for your post!

I am so sorry to hear about the negative experience you have received with your shipping company. I know this must be frustrating. When you attempt to make a payment, the amount can be temporarily charged to your bank/card. This is an Authorization charge. 

The transaction will not show as Completed until the merchant accepts and processes your order. As the transaction still shows as an Authorisation, the merchant (UPS) will have the option to void the order. Once they Void the order, the funds will be automatically returned to you. 

I would suggest you try to contact UPS again and request them to Void the order before it is processed. If they have any issues doing so, please provide them with the PayPal transaction ID. 

Unfortunately, shipping costs are not covered under our Buyer Protection Policy. This means that if the transaction does complete, you won't have the option to dispute it. 

If you have any further concerns please don't hesitate to contact our Customer Support. To contact us, simply click here. Alternatively, you can contact us via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PayPal or Twitter @AskPayPal.

I hope this helps!

- Rachel 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.