How to disable 2 step verification?

DirectionDPS
New Community Member

Hello, does anyone know how to disable 2-step verification? We have several people using the account so the text code is very limiting. When I search in Paypal, it just says that Business accounts do not have 2-step...yet I'm a business account (definitely checked) and I have 2 step. 

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

PayPal_Cristina

Hi @DirectionDPS,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our Community Help Forum!

You can change the status of your PayPal Security Key online by following these steps:

1. Click the Settings icon next to "Log out."
  2. Click Security near the top of the page.
  3. Click Update next to "Security key."
  4. In the table, choose the security key whose status you’d like to edit, and click either Activate or Deactivate.

I hope this helps.

Cristina

Login to Me Too

ericmanjares
New Community Member
Can this be also done in a mobile device? Re: deactivation of authenticator app. Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Complain
Contributor
Contributor

Where did you get or see the "Security Key" option in the security tab? Where is it? Are you making up your own story? You're making it more complicated. Waste of time!

Login to Me Too

Simoone
Contributor
Contributor

This is n ot accurate, dont know which version of PP you are using, but neither my American nor European account show the options you are dréscribing...

Login to Me Too

bryan-m
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Cristina 

I'm having an issue with the instructions you have provided.

When going into security settings and opening 2 step verification it asks me to set it up. I select send me a code, I enter the provided code and I turn on 2 step verification, press save., I then exit and go back in and turn it off and press save again.

Go out of security setting (still logged into paypal) then go back in and the settings and it is asking me to set it up again. The page is not saving my selection. Even though 2 step is apparently not set up, it still requires me to ask for a code every transaction (I hate this) I can't turn it off as my selection is not being saved

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jae

Hi @bryan-m!

I'm sorry to hear it's not saving. I recommend clearing your history, cache and cookies on your current browser or try on another browser or device. If the issue continues, please contact our Customer Support directly. I hope this helps!

- Jae

Login to Me Too

kgood1948
Contributor
Contributor

I finally figured this out, no thanks to Paypal! Go to the gear in the upper right of Paypal and select "Your Profile". Scroll down to "2-step verification" and click update. From there you can just turn it off.

Login to Me Too

Tayscout
New Community Member
Thank you! This is the only thing that helped me. PayPal didn’t give any correct information on this issue
Login to Me Too

tom88888888
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot disable it, even after trying to. I thought i did though... i even got an email saying:

2-step verification was turned off for your account.

You've removed 2-step verification from your account. A unique security code will no longer be sent to each time you log in. From now on, you'll just use your password.

Yet, every time i want to log in, i still get the SMS / text message prompt.... that they need to send me a SMS in order for me to log in.
ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS . Fix this now paypal !
I don't always have my phone with me. Pretty sure many other don't have as well.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.