How to best resolve a dispute where the buyer is failing to respond?

SamIshi
Contributor
Contributor

I've been reading up on the dispute process but I'm unable to come up with an answer to what will happen in the current case.

In short a buyer claims the received item does not match the described condition and opened a dispute immediately.

I've responded with my rebuttal regarding the state, and despite that also offered a full refund on return of the item on return of the item.

Despite this the buyer has not responded in two weeks and the case will be closed in a few days.

If the case is automatically closed without a resolution then what happens next? Buyer is not responding at all so my guess is they expect to win and keep the item and a return of their money.

Is that the case or is it more nuanced - I can't find good information on what happens in this case. The other options being that a) seller (me) gets the funds unblocked or b) Paypal steps in and resolves.

Being unsure what happens when a case is automatically closed I am considering escalating but that is not without it's own risks depending on how Paypal interpret the given evidence.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SamIshi 

Then if it times out at 20 days and the buyer does not escalate it to a claim then the buyer would have lost out.

They keep the item and you keep the payment sent.

Paypal does not get involved until it gets to a claim.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SamIshi 

Is it at the dispute stage or has it been escalated to a claim, can't comment until you give the actual facts.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

SamIshi
Contributor
Contributor

This is currently at the dispute stage, no escalation to a claim. 16 days in with no reply from the buyer.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SamIshi 

Then if it times out at 20 days and the buyer does not escalate it to a claim then the buyer would have lost out.

They keep the item and you keep the payment sent.

Paypal does not get involved until it gets to a claim.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.