How do I file an appeal for a denied claim that PayPal never really looked into?

karaleeper
Contributor
Contributor

Opened a case tonight with a seller who never shipped my goods.  It was 100 dollar transaction.  As soon as I  filed the case, the seller escalated it to a claim. Then provided tracking information from FEDEX and PAYPAL immediately denied my claim. When I  inquired with FEDEX, and gave them the shipping number the seller gave me, the shipping information was from Best Buy and delivered to someone I   don't know.  My order was for a jersey (obviously not sold at Best Buy) and the transaction was by someone named Chris Silver.  So I    obviously was scammed and waited to appeal my claim but there is no appeal button.  It just says CLAIM under case closed with no option to appeal.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  This seller also charged me more than what I     authorized but PAYPAL wouldn't let me file a different claim for that.  It said there wouldn't be shipping and they charged shipping.  I    have screenshots of all the information and the email from FEDEX.  Seems odd PayPal would immediately deny my claim without even looking into it just because someone provided a fake fedex number (or a real one but not to my address or with my goods).  It is very disappointing because I  use PayPal a lot for security but it seems I  would have been better off using my credit card.  I    would appreciate any advice on how to appeal my claim.  

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@karaleeper 

Paypal is just a payment processor that gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection.
So disputes for non receipt of item are mostly automated. Seller provides tracking that shows delivery = seller wins.
So then its your turn to do some work to assist Paypal in recovering your purchase price from your seller.

Firstly ring Paypal customer services and tell them that the number is fake or that the item was shown as shipped before you purchased it. With that information they may well just issue you a refund.

Secondly if they don't then... APPEAL
To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your Paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@karaleeper 

Paypal is just a payment processor that gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection.
So disputes for non receipt of item are mostly automated. Seller provides tracking that shows delivery = seller wins.
So then its your turn to do some work to assist Paypal in recovering your purchase price from your seller.

Firstly ring Paypal customer services and tell them that the number is fake or that the item was shown as shipped before you purchased it. With that information they may well just issue you a refund.

Secondly if they don't then... APPEAL
To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your Paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Dmoonflower1
Contributor
Contributor

karaleeper,

I am VERY curious as to the outcome of your claim as I had the same thing happen to me!

Even the company I ordered from wanted a document from delivery?? I tried to convey that to PayPal, needless to say, they immediately declined my claim as well.

With the covid scare, PayPal, Ebay, Amazon, etc. says to give it until a specific date to see if the item was lost in the mail?? Well by that time, the period to file a claim was gone! So never even received a 'sorry that happened to you' or lets get this resolved, etc.

Just point blank...sux to be me  :*(

I use PayPal for security & recourse....guess not so much anymore. Just Local Purchases.

Very disappointed and angru all at the same time!

Good Luck!!

Sincerely,

`Dmoonflower1

Login to Me Too

karaleeper
Contributor
Contributor
Hi! I am so sorry you are struggling too. It’s super stressful around the holidays especially. I will be honest and say that this morning I woke up and it seems that my claim changed from being denied to them refunding my money and deciding on my favor (random but I have Two emails from the denial one to it being decided in my favor and now my money refunded). My guess is PayPal monitors these comments and I got lucky. But I could be off. I really thought the above advice was a perfect step by step on what to do. I sure hope it helps you and you get your resolution soon too!
Login to Me Too

EJX2
Contributor
Contributor

I have been having the same issue and just saw that my dispute doesn't appear to have been looked into either.  As the USPS tracking number they provided, is literally just regular mail tracking for an envelop that can weigh a max of 13.5oz per the USPS website.  I was purchasing a printer that weighed over 50lbs.  I mean, the tracking shows it was delivered to my home, however it seems that there was no taking into account what the number was actually for.  And, I did all of the research and attached it, assuming they would look at the attachments if they read the message, but it appears that they simply just took the fact that the seller provided a tracking number.  I thought at least one set of people's eyes would be on it at some point, but if anyone would have read my original claim, they would realize that all of the documentation is there for them.  I hope this is resolved with a phone call, which I hope to get to make tomorrow as I'm out over $500 right now, but still needed the printer so I had to get one while my money is some A-hole Scammers Pocket... Anyways, I posted this for those that might have a USPS tracking number and have their address used, and think that they are sunk, I mean, I still might be, but there are different classes for different sized products and the website tells you what type of tracking number you've searched and then you can look up what type of mail can be sent with that specific number, or what it was generated for roughly... 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.