How do I change owner name of PayPal Account?

rrosenquist
New Community Member

I have been trying to get our non-profit organization's PayPal Account updated for over a year. I have replaced the previous organization director who setup this account and is no longer with the organization. I was provided with all of the access information including the organzation's bank account. I have tried uploading the requested "change name" documentation and have also sent all the requested name documentation to PayPal by snail mail and haven't received any reply or help and am quite frustrated. I see that there are other threads in this community from several people with the same problem, but no replies as to how to fix it.  I assume I might need to close this account and open a new one.  PayPal's support on this has been awful -its as if they just ignore it. Anyone have any ideas?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Rich

Hello rrosenquist,

Thanks for reaching out to the PayPal Community about this issue. I'm sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time changing the name on this business account. I know situations like this can be difficult. Closing the account and creating a new one is a very fast solution if the requested information can not be provided.

Otherwise, this link in our forums should walk you through the process: https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Settings/how-to-change-business-name/td-p/1010037

I would also recommend adding yourself as a user with the permission to discuss the account with customer service over the phone. This should prove helpful in receiving assistance with this process. Here is a link on how to add users to a PayPal account: https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-add-users-to-my-paypal-account-faq1605

- PayPal_Rich

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters always point in the right direction.
- Irish Proverb
Login to Me Too

AdrianUCC
New Community Member

The question wasn't "how to change the business name on the account" it was asking how to change the responsible person charged with maintaining the account.  People come and go from businesses and non-profits but that doesn't effect the name of the business.  What I came here looking for is the question title of this topic - how to go about updating the name of the person on the PayPal account for my non-profit?  

Login to Me Too

EWFrancis
New Community Member

I have learned the answer to this question through long, hard labor and have written it into the treasurer's manual for my organization. I share it here for your benefit:

Changing the "owner" name was hellacious when I came in as treasurer and slightly less hellacious when I left (March 2022). Hopefully it will be better for you.

1.             Click on your name in upper right-hand corner of website
  2.             Select “Profile Settings”
  3.             Select “Personal Information”
  4.             Select “Name”
  5.             The page “Edit your name” will appear.
  6.             Select “Your contact name has changed” and press “Continue
  7.             Paypal then requires that you upload the following documentation:
    • (1) A scan of a government-issued photo ID (e.g., drivers’ license or passport) for the person who will take over the account. A photo of your ID should show the following details (if applicable):
      • Photo
      • Legal name (first and last name)
      • Date of birth
      • Date of issue or expiry
      • Signature 
      • ID Number
    • (2) A scan of the incoming treasurer’s social security card or a paystub to serve as proof of your social security number.
    • (3) A document on business letterhead announcing and explaining the change. (Sometimes this is called a Letter of Authorization, or LOA.)
      It should include the following information:
      • the primary email address, current name, address, and phone number on the PayPal account.
      • The new business contact name.
      • The reason for the change

The online process worked in March 2022. PayPal also provides a link to find an address to send this information by postal mail.

A message on the PayPal “help” page suggests that “it normally takes 3-5 business days for a review” and that they will email you when the process is complete. In my experience, you need to check back with PayPal to make sure that they received and processed the files. It literally took me months to effect the name change. I think that with this list of documents, you will have a much easier time of it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.