How can I protect a trading cards/collectibles sale from scam buyer

ciulei_serban
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a seller and about to close a deal with a buyer for 3 sports trading cards (pretty high value). Some of the items are also listed on eBay, so I have the proof I own them. I will obviously ship with tracking and insurance and pack them so they cannot get damaged in transit.

But I don't know the buyer and I don't know if I he is a scammer or not. I must say that the products are original and in perfect condition.

Is there a way I protect myself in case the buyer is a scammer and complains the items are fake or not in good condition or even pretend he received a box with completely different items and asks for a refund? Should I ask for a video when he opens the parcel? How does Paypal protect the sellers in these cases?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ciulei_serban 

Sellers are not covered for significantly not as described (SNADs) paypal disputes and claims or credit card chargebacks. Only cases of item not received or unauthorized activity are covered with valid proof of delivery. Because of this, if you can’t afford to lose the item/money, sell locally and accept cash in person. PayPal is third party/payment processor who was not there when you shipped and not there when buyer received. SNADs devolve into a you said/they said situation and PayPal just wants to resolve the dispute. So PayPal makes seller accept a return and refund resolution (or the seller may elect to accept liability by refunding and move on to the new sales). Buyer has to pay to return item. If the buyer is abusing the PayPal dispute system/buyer protection by returning an empty envelope or a different item, appeal the case as “buyer abuse”.

Seller protection Program terms and conditions (English)

Seller protection Program terms and conditions (Romanian)

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

ciulei_serban
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the answer. I understand this is a 50:50 situation... I hope the buyer is an honest person, otherwise anyone can do this at least once...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.