How can I get my money back?

Temp20211026S

On October 16th I tried to purchase a Nintendo Switch through Facebook marketplace. I paid using paypal through facebook interface. However, after clicking to pay I received a paypal pop up notification that said that the transaction could not go through because there were issues with the seller's account. I then checked my facebook message and saw that the seller said that paypal won't work because their account has issues for 14 business days and basically that wouldn't be sending anything. I checked my paypal account and bank account and the money was taken from my account despite the error message so I called paypal. They said that I needed to wait a week to start a case for the item not being shipped. 

I called again today, October 25th, and the representative told me that they couldn't give me my money back at this time and that when "the back office" was done, it would be returned to me but "i shouldn't get my hopes up.". I inquired further because this was an absurd answer to me, considering what I know about whats going on and she let slip a "until the investigation is complete." I then inquired further as to whether or not I or the seller was under investigation and asked how paypal could just keep my money and then keep it indefinitely. She said she couldn't give me an answer. I got a little upset and told her i'd never use paypal again. She literally said "I wouldn't blame you" but she can't help me further. there has to be regulations that prevent this kind of practice. If the seller is under investigation, why should I be punished for it?

How can I get my money back? How is it legal for paypal to keep it in a black hole indefinitely and not give me any information because of a potential facebook marketplace scammer? Why am I not being given any information about whats going on with my money? I will indeed probably never use paypal again. This is theft.

EDIT: This was on a business account and im a longtime paypal user.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20211026S 

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item OR service
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website (or you receive a totally different product).

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. Paypal will review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click on the transaction and use the resolve a problem option at the bottom of that details page.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

Do not close the dispute until you have a refund or your item.
If a seller states that they can't refund until you have closed the dispute don't believe them.
Escalate the dispute to a claim within 20 days (before it times out), if you need Paypal to get involved.

If you lose because the seller provides a fake tracking number then post back here for more advice.
If the item arrives and its not what you ordered / not as described then make sure you change the dispute quickly from non receipt. If the dispute times out before you can change it then contact customer services to open a second dispute for the new reason.

Activate the below link in case you have to return the item at Paypals request (or the correct one for your country as this is the U.S link).

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will issue a chargeback.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.