Hoka scam?

Sbknowles
New Community Member

I ordered a pair of shoes online from a Hoka website. I used PayPal and I got a pay pal receipt but it was to a random name. I logged into pay pal but there’s no record of the transaction. But there was a charge on my credit card from PayPal. How could this have happened?

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

Temp20230108b
Contributor
Contributor
Same as me! Somehow they put a USPS tracking number that looks legitimate. They even fooled PayPal ! So of course I’m out $80 because PayPal sides with the scammer! Time for Venmo or Apple Pay!
Login to Me Too

Fenway67
Contributor
Contributor
Paypal will refind you if you get a letter from the post office stating that the package was not delivered to your house. After a brief investigation, my postmaster gave me that info (they are very familiar with these kinds of fraudsters) and I aent the letter to PayPal and got my $ back
Login to Me Too

Ronvilla98
Contributor
Contributor

check your credit card and e-mail . I just got hooked into the same thing and they tried to add a hidden annual fee to my accounts . 

Login to Me Too

cedcope
New Community Member

A few years ago, this also happened to me but it was with a laptop. I felt very comfortable using Paypal making this purchase, falsely, thinking paypal would have my back! I placed my order and after 4 weeks I still did not have my laptop. After multiple attempts to contact the seller went ignored I contacted Paypal. I filed a dispute. Paypal sided with the seller. The seller provided a signed receipt from a non existent address. Yep, I actually went to where it was "delivered". I went back and forth with them multiple times but they would not give my money back. The only way I got my money back was taking my evidence to the credit card company. They refunded my money and took on Paypal. I did not use Paypal for quite a while because of this.

Login to Me Too

Greg700
New Community Member
I just ordered two pair of Hoka on monday. 78.30 was charged to my Bluebird Visa. It was processed as a guest transaction through Paypal as I was not logged in. I called Hoka customer service. Hokatrainers.com is not an authorized website. I have tried contacting the seller with no response. I filed a complaint with the FTC which is probably useless. I sent a message to Paypal but have not herd back. I'm trying to determine how I need to approach this.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi @Greg700

I do regret to hear that this has happened to you. As you paid as a guest you will be unable to open the dispute from your end however if you contact us directly, we will be able to open a dispute on your behalf. 

If you have the confirmation email that you received when you made the payment please have this ready when you call us as we will need to get some details for opening the dispute. 

To contact us please click on the help and contact link at the bottom of any PayPal page. 

I hope this helps,

Paula 

Login to Me Too

Ely412
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, I had the same thing happen to me. On April 29 I paid $111 for a Hoka pair of shoes. I paid through PayPal to a user whose mail address came back to me as undelivered.. I received a receipt from PayPal for the money being sent to a user that is not Hoka, but the activity is not listed in my history activity. Now I have to go through all of this with PayPal to see what they will do for me to get my money back. Thanks for this feed. It was helpful for me to know this happened to other people. PayPal needs to be alerted of users using their site to scam, by asking for credit cards as payment.
Login to Me Too

2prolificsinger
New Community Member

Yes I was scamed by this HOKA website as well, it was buy 1 get one half off. This was thru the affirm/afterpay app

that promotes some of these websites as legit.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.