Help with a scam website refund - Resolution Centre problem

pandakeef
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All

I recently bought some clothing from a website - I thought it was the local language version of a well-known clothing company. The website was an exact copy of the English-version.

After I paid via PayPal I received an email confirmation of the purchase that set alarm bells ringing. The email was from a strange address, and did not contain details of the order or an order number etc. There was a very odd support email address - I searched the address online and discovered that it was known to be an address used by scam websites (many different websites with a similar set-up to the one I had used).

I was in a panic at this point - I logged onto PayPal to try and stop the process - I could not find a suitable heading in the resolution centre, dealing with scam sites, so I ended up reporting it under Unauthorised Transaction - which I guess it wasn't as I had tried to purchase the item.

Now I have further evidence that the site is a scam site (from the original company), plus the item I ordered is not even close to the item listed on the purchase details in PayPal, but I have no way of reporting this to PayPal - the Resolution Centre shows case closed. I am not able to make further complaints against this purchase.

What are my options now?  How do I get a refund from a scam site? There is nothing obvious that I can see in the PayPal system to cover this type of activity, which is stunning to me. Help, Please!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pandakeef 

A dispute for an unauthorised transaction is telling paypal that your account was hacked and used without your consent to make that transaction.
Paypal would check IP addresses and devices and close the dispute if it was you that made the transaction.

You are only allowed 1 dispute per transaction so the only way you can get a second dispute opened is to contact Paypal (when and if you can) and see if they will open a second dispute for you.
They may decline citing policies but if you say what happened then they might open a second dispute for you.

If not then if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then consider contacting your card issuer and see if they will help you with a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pandakeef
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

Thanks for the reply, it seems that PayPal has now independently changed the case to "not receiving merchandise" which is probably closer to the actual reason. I am hopeful that the money will be returned eventually. Fingers crossed!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pandakeef 

Good luck, if you lose because of fake tracking post back for more advice.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pandakeef
Contributor
Contributor

Well good news, I had an email from PayPal saying that a refund is on the way!

Thanks again for your help and replies

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.