Hawalili Scam

LCBENZ
Contributor
Contributor

After receiving many advertisements from this vendor, mostly selling Hawaiian style shirts for men (I live in Florida where they are a staple garment), I decided to purchase a few items. The pricing was right and the styles attractive. However, when I went to the shopping cart I noticed that shipping costs were somewhat excessive, but I dismissed it as just part of the overall pricing policy. Reluctantly, I didn’t do an internet search on the vendor to gauge the experience of other buyers. When I did, after the actual purchase, I was not pleased:

- The apparel “shop” is actually in China

- It appears that garments are not even made until you place an order, and after your PayPal account is charged (a violation of Visa/MC rules)

- The high shipping costs represent air freight from China to the U.S.

- The site seems to employ an army of internet trolls posting phony “reviews” online to counter their selling practices 

- Three weeks later, nothing received

Login to Me Too
39 REPLIES 39

cschuk
New Community Member

It appears they have a spoofed USPS tracking site, because when you go directly to USPS they tracking number is unknown.

Login to Me Too

LA_Jake
Contributor
Contributor

I had similar problem with delayed shipment.  It was the height of the pandemic last year and was an excuse for months of delay in receiving the shipment that supposedly occurred shortly after the order.  Finally, after many attempts to cancel the transaction (which was delayed because they claimed it was in transit), I received the shipment.  One shirt was “on back order” and I never received it or credit for it.  The shirts that I did receive were very small for the size ordered, and I gave them away instead of trying to return them.  The materials used in making the shirts was super light, and I doubt they would have withstood any attempt to wash them, which I did not do because I gave them away.

Login to Me Too

Disgruntled12
Contributor
Contributor

I have a paypal dispute open right now.  I ordered shirts and received them but they are sized about 4 sizes too small.  I am very big.  I ordered according to their sizing chart.  What I received were all sized for someone of a very thin build.   The fabric did not feel nice either.  It cost a LOT to ship back to China.  They offered a 25% refund to keep them.  Twice in email I said yes.  Then I filed a complaint with paypal.  Twice they have left a message "waiting on buyer" asking if I want a refund.  I say yes.  They they ask again.  So now I have escalated a dispute with paypal.  

I agree they are not on the up and up.  Something is wrong.

Login to Me Too

LA_Jake
Contributor
Contributor
Good luck with that. The scam has been identified and verified for a long time and still perpetrates thanks to PayPal, Facebook, yahoo and many other perpetrators
Login to Me Too

generalartstore
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered 6 shirts for free shipping.  Got 2 the right size...2 labeled correctly but definitely a much smaller shirt.  One they are not sending and did refund the money for that shirt.  The last one is out in cyberland never to be found.   No tracking info.  On the wrong sized items, I got the same BS as other stated... send them back to China for a refund or take 15% refund...then 20% and then 30% ...games they play.  Filed a dispute with Paypal.  To my surprise paypal offered a $30.00 credit  for shipping if I send them back.  That is what I plan to do.  They also opened up a dispute claim.  We will see what happens.

Login to Me Too

cccpbigdaddy
Contributor
Contributor

They sent one shirt the wrong size, supposed to by 3X and looks like it's for a toddler.....but you bet it has that 3X tag sewed in! These shirts are advertised to be a cotton blend, they are PURE nylon! Two shirts are still missing and they keep asking me to wait; it will have been two months since I paid for the order. WHAT A SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Advertised in the U.S. but as mentioned they are truly located in China. Keep and save your money, shop some place reputable!!!

Login to Me Too

A8ked

Like others I saw the Hawalili site advertised repeatedly and was suckered into placing an order without checking the internet for complaints.  The web site does say they take returns.  BUT, it does not say anywhere that you have to ship the returns back to a place in China at your expense!

I ordered 5 shirts to get their offer of free shipping.  WHAT A JOKE,....The shirts are made of a synthetic material (maybe Rayon) not cotton as advertised.  The material is about the same thickness as Kleenex tissue and the sizes are VERY VERY SMALL.  I finally received a delivery of the first 3 shirts after 3 weeks and realized I had been scammed!  I immediately Emailed Hawalili directly as per their instructions requesting return authorization and got no response.  I next filed a complaint thru PayPal and got a very quick response from Hawalili offering to take the shirts back for a 20% restocking fee and with return shipping to China at my expense!!!   None of these fees or terms are mentioned in their web site!

I refused the 1st return offer and they then offered to refund me 20% of the cost of the order and let me keep the shirts!!  THE SHIRTS ARE GARBAGE AND DON'T FIT WHY WOULD I WANT TO KEEP THEM???

I refused the 2nd return offer and they came back again offering a refund of 25% of the cost of the order and let me keep the shirts.

I refused the 2nd offer and asked them to refund the entire cost of the order and that I would return the shirts to the South San Francisco, CA return address that was on the packages.

They responded that they only accept returns at the address in China and made a 3rd offer to refund 45% of the cost of the order and I keep the shirts.

At this point I have received a 4th shirt of similar quality to the first delivery and have still not received the 5th shirt.

I'm sorry to say I finally caved to the scam and responded to them that I would accept their 45% refund offer for the shirts thus far received with an additional $18.24 refund for the one remaining shirt that has not been delivered.  For a total refund of $55.93.  

So they took me for $37.69.  My recommendation is to NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH HAWALILI and if you feel the need to take a gamble with them pay with a credit card as the credit card companies will back you up 100%.

Login to Me Too

guzzidave62
New Community Member
Facebook links have been horrible for rip-off ads. Purchase same shirt from facebook link. Wrong design. Nylon. Got the hawalili from a tic toc link. Paypal won't protect you,(any longer?). I guess using a credit card is the safer option. Thanks for the heads up.
Login to Me Too

Disgruntled12
Contributor
Contributor

I've used paypal for the very reason I thought it would be a safer way to pay.  Apparently that is no longer the case.  For me personally I have no reason whatsoever to use paypal for anything.  

Credit cards offer better protection now.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.