Handling SCAM sellers - What are best Options...

msetzerii
Contributor
Contributor

Ordered what was suppose to be a nice car lift that was suppose to weigh 99 pounds.

Deal seemed super good at price. Paid for the item and waiting for tracking info.

Took a while, but eventually got a tracking number, but the tracking information showed it a a small package, which didn't match with a 99 pound car lift. Contracted the email, a few times, and was assured that it was the correct item being shipped, and that it was a mistake at the shipper, but never got a new shipping tracking number, just that I would be getting the item I ordered. Waited and waited, and finally did the package from the original tracking number, but it  wasn't a car lift, but a crappy cell phone holder that was broken in 3 places?? The package was just a little crushed box in a white envelope with no packing material at all. Sent pictures to the seller showing the unopened envelope, crushed box and the 3 pieces that the cell phone holder was in?? From the sellers email, it seemed at first, that admitted to the error, and continued to say I would get the correct item, but then the actual shipper from China gets involved. They are offering to refund $18?? 40% of cost of what was suppose to be a car lift?? So, would appear it was a scam from the beginning from the China shipper. Wanting to charge 60% of cost of an item they did not provide for a piece of broken crap that wasn't anywhere close to what the ad showed. Was hoping that Paypal would quickly resolve the issue, since that is the ideal of using paypal, but seems they are more interested in supporting the scammers, and allowing them to continue scamming others. I'm think the original seller actual expected the chinese shipper to provide the correct item, but that could have been part of the scam as well..

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@msetzerii 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.
7. Send fake tracking numbers to win item non receipt of item claims.

Have you opened a dispute for item received but not as described?

If so escalate to a claim but make sure you have activated the below link as you may be asked to return it trackable first before you get a refund.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

msetzerii
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, have a dispute ongoing.

There seems to be a US based seller, that was the original contact that sent the tracking number and seemed to expect the correct item was going to be shipped, so don't know if they were scammed into thinking the Chinese shipper was going to send the item they sold. As soon as I got the tracking number and looked at it, it showed it was a small package, whereas the ad showed the item as a 99 pound car lift.. They assured me in a number of emails that it was a shipping mistake and correct item would be shipped. When that package actual arrived it was a small package with a super cheap cell phone holder that broken in three pieces. Was one that mounts in air vents of car, piece that holds bottom of phone was broken in two pieces. Item was placed in an envelope with no packing except the original box that was all crushed. Sent pictures of the unopened package, opened package, and pieces to the original seller. The got back quickly, but then story changes. From the Chinese shipper they came back with an offer to refund 40% ($18) as a deal. Thus they wanted to get paid 60% for delivering a piece of junk that was nothing close to what they offered. Second option was to possible get a full refund, was to shipped the broken item back to a chinese address that was probable going to cost me another $20 or more the other $24 of price?? Don't really care about the money, but the SCAM is what upsets me. These ads were all over Facebook. I've order 6 deals from Facebook, and all but 1 have been SCAMS. One that was actually a good deal, was linked to a local Guam company, and they provided excellent product at a good price. Others where nothing ever gotten. One in past was a paypal, and never got item at all, and they gave me a 100% refund. Think company disappeared. This time, they just seem to be repeating the sellers 40% refund offer?? Think Paypal needs to be proactive to shut down scammers, or they make themselves part of the SCAM. Think 99% of Facebook ads are scams.. Thanks again.

Login to Me Too

msetzerii
Contributor
Contributor

Haven't heard more from paypal on issue. They just passed on the crooked Scammers offer of 40% refund for the Scam.

Am hoping they will do a lot more. Don't really care about the money, but hate that Scammers seem to have no problems doing it.

Facebook seems to not care at all about supporting the Scammers.

Had other one that handled by Shopify, but they refused to provide any information on the seller.

Said, they have to support their clients with 100% protection, and no concern of the customers.

The shopify site disappeared completely about a week after that scam.

Will never buy anything from any shopify site.

Even found a website that mentioned how to setup the Scams on shopify sites, with suggestions to keep item amounts under $70, since I guess most buyers will find it not worth bothering with smaller amounts, and just right off the lose. 

Was hoping that Paypal would be more concerned of there customers rather than the money they make off the SCAMMERS.

Sure that many many people took the deal, and expected to get the item, and many might take the 40% refund (no clue if anyone actually gets it).

So, don't know if Scammers end up making 100% profit on scam less the shipping cost for the worthless Item they send, or if they pay the 40% refund, they would still be making a 60% profit on the Scams.

If Paypal doesn't do more than just pass on scammers offer, I'd see no reason to use paypal anymore. If they don't offer the protection they use to.

Perhaps Scammers have taken over Paypal, and it is as crooked as the Scammers themselves.

Login to Me Too

Moodley
Same issue, ordered 2 of the car lifts, except mine never arrived and shows shipping was returned to sender. After a few emails, seller offered a 15% refund for delayed postage due to covid. I was assured it's on its way and I must please be patient. I accepted the 15%. Since then still no product and its 5 months later..seller ignores my mails. PayPal is not assisting either... Anyone know how to go about a full refund?
Login to Me Too

Moodley
Page doesn't exists in link
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.