Hacker setup payment, PayPal wouldn’t fix

Rbaxt
New Community Member
Hello, my account was hacked, and the hacker set up a recurring payment to a company I didn’t know of. They used a subscription bomb to hide this purchase in my email. When I caught it almost immediately I reached out to PayPal and told them this was not me. They said because it was a set up payment, they deemed this is be authorized and would not help me or stop the payment. I was able to pay a fee to my bank to stop any payments from PayPal. Days later the payment tried to go through but my bank stopped it. But now PayPal has put a negative balance on my account, just over $1000. Do they expect me to pay this? Is there interest charges? What it looks like to me is PayPal went to take the money from my bank, and then my bank charged it, and immediately refunded it. I don’t know if this put PayPal on the hook for the payment or not, and frankly I don’t care. They have been no help. I just need to make sure I am not going to suffer because of this with interest or a hit to my credit rating. Thanks for any help or info. Rob.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @Rbaxt,

Welcome to our community forum and thank you for your post!

I completely understand your concern about the negative balance, and I would be frustrated if I were in your shoes. I am sorry for what happened, and I know it is unacceptable. If this is a subscription, I would recommend you to cancel the subscription with the merchant in your PayPal account to avoid future payments. 

In this situation, your best option would be to reaching our team by clicking the contact us option at the bottom of PayPal page or send us a message through our Twitter and Facebook page for additional assistance.

I hope this information helps, have a great day!

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.