Hacked

kitkat1137
Contributor
Contributor

I received a strange text that tried to appear as if it was from PAYPAL but it didn't look real at all so I just deleted it. Now my debit card has been hacked and I've had fraudulent charges on my checking account.   I've cancelled the debit card but it appeared after I used my PAYPAL account.  Is there anyway to figure out if it came from using PAYPAL and what can I do short of completely cancelling my PAYPAL account?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Callie

Hello @kitkat1137 -

I am glad that you reached out to the PayPal Community. I know how concerning it can be to see unauthorized transactions and the need to report them. If you have not yet done so, you can find the steps to report unauthorized activity and charges within your PayPal account here. If the charge was done outside of your PayPal account, you'd want to report it directly with your financial institute. 

As for knowing if a text is from PayPal, we send texts from 729725. We do communicate through text at times to let you know if there are concerns, however, we'd advise you to log into your account directly from a website. 

If you still want to close your account, you can find steps on how to complete that here. Before completing that, I would make sure that you report any unrecognized charges you see so we can ensure a thorough review is completed. If you need further assistance, you can always reach us through Facebook, Twitter, or by going to the bottom of any PayPal page under "Help" or "Contact."

Hope you get this resolved quickly! 

- Callie 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.