Hacked on paypal wont refund

lukacvijetic
New Community Member

So at 3PM someone hacked my paypal somehow even tho i do change my password 6 times a year just because of safety and because i've lost a lot before on other platforms. 

A total of 20.00EURO and 19.99EURO was used on a dating app called Badoo. And a lot more on other stuff that i did get refunded. 

I filed for a ticket and they denied my refund claim. I've even contacted badoo support on email and im considering calling them aswell.. 

Can someone please help me understand why this is happening and what happened.

Login to Me Too
26 REPLIES 26

Levyanneramos
Contributor
Contributor
I have experienced the same thing. As I was doing some Christmas shopping today, I got a notification that I sent 2 payments of $202.97 USD to a random email. I flagged the transactions and proceeded to make PayPal aware of the unauthorized transactions. PayPal then told me that because of lack of evidence the transactions were legal and authorized. I ended up using PayPal's messaging system. After explaining that I had not authorized this payment to the random email and referencing the two transactions. The person helping me then says "we have only found two emails that contain your name." I figured that that was enough evidence to prove my claim but no, I still haven't seen a reply. I now have to call and get my credit card cancelled. I cannot wait to deactivate my PayPal account. How are we to have faith in a big company that ensures your safety when even given the evidence and then they agree with what you are saying does not help you out. Shame on you!!!
Login to Me Too

PHarthen
Contributor
Contributor
Add another to the list, because I'm also being **bleep** over by PayPal and its flawed security. I'm out nearly $600CAD and flooded with NSF overdraft fees and a negative balance on PayPal because someone out there got into my account and transferred money I don't even have to two fake people with spoofed school emails. Of course, I did the natural thing and reported them as unauthorized, but PayPal doesn't seem to agree! Blasting money I don't own into space and sending myself into the negatives is considered "consistent with prior transactions" or whatever. Sounds more like PayPal doesn't want to take responsibility for their platform being abused time and again by frauds. I'm definitely going to look into alternatives to this service, it's absurd how poorly PayPal treats its users and how wide-spread these problems are.
Login to Me Too

Temp20240122da
Contributor
Contributor

But Canadian Credit system is very strong and very protective. You have to dispute it with your credit card. BMO Mastercard took all 3700 CAD from PayPal and I got refunded on the end of the day. Good luck!

Login to Me Too

Junispeakz
Contributor
Contributor
I’m so over PayPal and they’re ridiculous lies and BS. Someone hacked my account and made some online purchases and after each purchase they would cancel the agreements made. I don’t shop in the places this happened and I don’t cancel my information after each purchase I make. They can look at my history and easily see where and how I’ve spent my money in that account. So they initially said it was authorized, I appealed and they investigated and found that I was correct and they were issuing a refund. They still haven’t issued anything but emails asking me to call them and today - over a month after they said they would refund my money - they said they won’t give me my money. I have screenshots of the 6 emails they sent saying they were refunding me because they found unauthorized charges but now all of a sudden they are so desperate for a few hundred dollars that they refused to give me my money back now. I do not understand this, I’ve had this account since 2003 and used it for a variety of reasons. I’ve had issues before and usually get some kind of help but this is completely obtuse and unlawful. Shame on them, I am seeking out whatever options I can to fix this.
Login to Me Too

Manes31
New Community Member

I had the same thing.

In 8 I checked my PayPal and everything was fine, and at 3 am in the morning someone broke into my PayPal send himself 120$ and refund through my account  0.10$ because he refunds the transition was completed. and when I tried to open a case it closed on the same day.

Paypal has the worst support.

Login to Me Too

bhgentry
Just experienced this myself. Someone got my Teamviewer password which let them on my computer where they sent themselves $1900 in the middle of the night. Paypal sent me texts asking for permission which I didnt reply to because I was asleep. If I don't give permission, the default should be NO. But, Paypal apparently has no problem letting someone have their way with your account while you sleep. I appealed and was denied, saying it looks consistent with my account use. But I've never sent nearly that large of a sum of money to anyone, much less to some random person in China at 3am. I disputed 2 more times and got the same answer. Thank god my bank was helpful, because Paypal was beyond awful here. I've used Paypal for well over a decade because I was under the illusion that if something happened they would help you. Illusion broken. Currently in the process of removing subscriptions from paypal, and am going to close my account. Over the years they have made a mint off fees from me, which I was happy to pay for some security. No more.
Login to Me Too

t2visuals

I am another victim of the faulty and irrisponsible corporate mafia - PayPal.

I noticed fraudulent activity immediatly on my phone when I got a notification that I had just sent $1850 to an account in Australia.  I immediatly contacted my bank and PayPal.  My bank reversed the transactions, but PayPal had fronted the money on the $1850 and now says that I owe them $1850 dollars from this account not being paid by my bank.

It very well may be that my TeamViewer or something similar was hacked and the perpetrator was able to make the transaction through my IP address.  PayPal has not released a full list of IP addresses used on that day at that time, other than to say my IP address was had accessed my account 120+ times, so therefore it was a valid transaction.

Digital theft where a person hijacks your account and covers their tracks is apparently not something that PayPal gives a **** about.  I have gotten the runaround by their support team over 5 times.  They say they will look into it and immediatly reject my claim again, and now im blocked from making a claim.  They dont want to listen, investigate, or take sides with their loyal costomers.  They just want to bully victims into financial hardship.

If corporations are people, then PayPal is a greedy loanshark with an inside man.

They need to change their polocies.  They need to demand 2 factor authentication on all accounts.  If I knew someone was trying to access my account, then it could have been stopped before the fraudulent activity.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.