HELP! Unreasonable chargeback for disputed EBay TV sale. Buyer refusing to accept refund and return.

Ellsbells1970
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Please help me with a horrible situation which is giving me sleepless nights. I bought a TV from a company online which was sold as “brand new - open box”. Having received it I realised it was too big for our room. I did try it once to see that it looked and worked perfectly. It came with a 12 month store guarantee. As the time had then passed to return the item I decided to sell it on EBay. 

I listed it as open and unused. The guarantee from the store is still valid - however I admit I made a genuine mistake in the listing where I wrote “manufacterers guarantee still to be registered” rather than store guarantee. 

The man who bought it paid and came to collect it. He didn’t enquire once about the guarantee. He took it away and then opened a PayPal dispute as “item not as listed” which has frozen my payment. He has filed a chargeback for a £500 refund - half the price he paid for it. He claims it has been used, refurbished and should have a manufacturers guarantee.

Because of my mistake and out of goodwill I have already offered to either refund him £200 and allow him to keep the TV or to refund him the full amount and pay myself for the return of the item. I don’t know how he has come to the £500 figure…

However he is refusing this offer and now I have to respond to the PayPal dispute.

I want to refund the full amount and get the TV back. I believe £500 is far too much as a refund considering the TV is top-of-the-range, working, in great condition and with a store warranty. If I accept the dispute - as I admit the mistake - will he automatically get £500 and keep the TV?

Can I accept the dispute, insist on giving him a full refund and try and get my TV back?

Can I accept the dispute but challenge the amount to be refunded?

Otherwise can I challenge the dispute on the grounds that his suggested refund is far too high?

What will happen to my eBay standing if I then lose the challenge? And, what will happen to it if I accept the dispute?

Any help would be much appreciated! 

Many thanks

NB - I now notice that he has left me negative feedback despite only instigating the dispute today which I have yet to respond to. 

Is this fair? The dispute is still ongoing. I haven't even accepted or challenged it yet. Can I get this removed?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ellsbells1970 

Has he filed an Ebay dispute?

Has he filed a Paypal dispute?

Or was it a Chargeback via his card issuer?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.