Giveaway award, bank fee

derick14
Contributor
Contributor

Kindl, I received an email that a giveaway award of $10,000 has been deposited in my paypal account. The sender asked me to deposit 100$ bank fee in my paypal account for the award to appear in my account balance. Kindly is this award legit. I am Derick [removed], Kenyan citizen. Thank you.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@derick14 

Using my common sense I would think this is 99.9% a scam.

A ''giveaway'' award that makes you pay a large amount upfront??  🤔     🙄 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @derick14

Welcome to the PayPal Community! 

I understand someone is asking you to pay a fee to receive money, and I apologize for the confusion this has caused. I can confirm that this is not something you would ever be required to do. You do not need to pay fees to receive payments. If you accept payments for Goods & Services, you will be charged a fee by PayPal to enable your Seller Protection. However, the fee is assessed after you receive the payment, not before. 

Please do not click on any links within the email you received. If you have, you'll want to reset your password and security questions immediately. To learn more about common scams and how to spot them, please visit our Help Center here. I also suggest forwarding the email to us for investigation by following the information on our Help Center here: How do I spot and report a fake, fraudulent, spoof, or phishing emails?

I hope this information helps, and please stay safe! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.