Fraudulent transactions from my bank account to PayPal

Kayla_h
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help as I have been unable to contact Paypal and my bank say I need to go through Paypal.

Someone has hacked into my Paypal account and made two withdrawals of $2,000 each from my bank account, totalling $4,000 stolen.

The money has already been taken from my bank account but has not yet arrived in the Paypal account. I have reported it to my bank but they said I need to follow up with Paypal. Unfortunately I have not gotten through when calling Paypal, been unable to find the answer in the help forums and they won't let me open a dispute and keep saying I need to follow up with the sender of funds which is ridiculous since it looks like I am sending myself funds. I can't even find anywhere on Paypal to report this kind of fraud.

I have changed my Paypal and bank password, and removed my bank account as a payment method on Paypal.

What else can I do and how can I get Paypal support to stop these two fraudulent transactions from going through to make sure I do not lose $4,000?

Thanks for your help!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Callie

Hello @Kayla_h

Thank you for reaching out to the PayPal Community about this. I am sorry this has happened and know how important it is to report these transactions and make sure your account is secured again. 

If you haven't done so already, here is how to report potential fraud. You will also want to secure your account again and change your password. Here are some secure password tips

To avoid sharing personal information over a public forum I would recommend reaching out to our Customer Service support through either Facebook or Twitter. If you don't have a Facebook or Twitter account, you can always go to the bottom of any PayPal page and click "Help" or "Contact." 

I hope this is resolved quickly! 

- Callie 

Login to Me Too

Kayla_h
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Callie,

Thanks for replying but as mentioned in my original post I have already tried all the methods you suggested.

I have already changed my password and Paypal will not let me report the fraud by opening a dispute. When I select the two fraudulent transactions it says I cannot open a dispute as I am 'receiving' money and I need to contact the person sending the money. Unfortunately the money is from my bank account so technically I am the person 'sending' the money, but I did not make the request for $4,000 to be transferred from my bank to Paypal.

I want Paypal to cancel the two transactions requesting $2,000 each to be transferred from my bank to Paypal.

Thanks,

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Marina

Hi @Kayla_h,

That certainly is concerning. It sounds like you are referring to money being transferred from your bank to the PayPal account balance. If that's the case, your bank would be the only one with the option to do a stop payment. It typically takes 3-5 business days for PayPal to receive funds from a bank. If your bank is unable to complete a stop payment, the good news is that you should have the option to transfer the money to your bank once the transactions clear.

I hope you find this information useful!

- Marina

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.