Fraudulent transaction to an "armory" for $799.

docnick
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal sent me an email notifying me of a transaction to an armory for $799. Not only did I not do this transaction, but I am very alarmed that someone could breach my Paypal account to buy goods from an armory!! This clearly is criminal activity, someone who is hacking into people's accounts to buy guns, ammo or other weapons!!! And I can't even call Paypal to talk to anyone!!! I sent a "message" thru their texting option, but does anyone know of a way to actually reach someone??

This is very serious and needs to be reported to authorities and the source of it tracked down!!!!!

Login to Me Too
50 REPLIES 50

Highfour137
Contributor
Contributor

My account was attacked on 7/28/2022 for $736.48 from " Hometown armory" but they attached it too a previously closed debit card to my credit union.

Login to Me Too

MamaBeard
Contributor
Contributor
Highfour137 - I just received 3 notices, or "statements" from Hometown Armory LLC this morning for $719!! I figured it was fraudulent & haven't responded to anything of called any of their referenced numbers however the thing that's freaking ME out is that they reference the last 4 of my bank account that is attached to my PayPal . . . Does this mean they've hacked my PayPal account?!?!? There have been no transactions on either my PayPal account or checking account, as of yet, thank God but it's still quite unsettling to say the least!!! Hometown was my second one, my first was from another armory just this past Tuesday 🤨
Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @MamaBeard,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community! 

I'm sorry to hear that you received emails regarding transactions you did not make. What you describe receiving is a common ploy that fraudsters use to trick people into calling the number in the email, which would be their number and not PayPal's. They would then use further phishing tactics to trick people into divulging sensitive information that they could then use to commit more fraud. It's wonderful that you did not fall for it and give any information.

I would recommend changing your password as soon as possible to be on the safe side, and if you have any thought that your email account may have been compromised to gather that information, change your password there too. Use passwords that are unique to each site. There's also some information here that may be helpful, and this article as well. 

The fact that the last 4 of your bank account is known means that a fraudster has information that would be helpful to validate identity when calling any financial company. You may wish to contact your bank to request that a new account number be issued, and update that information in your PayPal account.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

MamaBeard
Contributor
Contributor
Olivia - thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it!! You've provided me with some much needed peace of mind just knowing someone's paying attention on the other end . . . Thanks!!
Login to Me Too

mechanic100
Contributor
Contributor

I just got one too
Invoice: Q3198501789
Dear Customer,
Seller Information: Steve Armory Inc.
Invoice Number: Q3198501789
Delivery method: E-mail
Quantity: 1
Amount: $850.00

Steve Armory Inc.
You sent a payment of $850.00 to Steve Armory.
This charge will appear on your statement as “Steve Armory Inc.”
Please check the details of this transaction below:
You have 45 days from the date of the transaction to open a dispute

Login to Me Too

edet1223
New Community Member

I just received a notification from Lone Wolf Armory LLC for $718.23. I don't know this company. Nor would I purchase something so significant from my Paypal account. And what's so funny is it's from an account I hardly use. When I saw that email last night, I was livid. How can people charge random accounts and scam people out of money like this? The email stated I had three days to dispute the payment. I only need one. Because if that money comes out of my account... my upset will be biblical. I love using Paypal. It's discouraging how some scammers are allowed to do this.

Login to Me Too

paultreseler

Happened to me just last week.

Login to Me Too

jjtanner76

Thank you so much Oliva! 

I cannot tell you how much peace of mind you gave me with the resolution steps. I had not contacted the number in the email thankfully. My first thought was that they did not spell PayPal correctly in certain spots, leading me to check my PayPal activity first. Not being able to locate the charge put complete doubt in my mind so I searched up the name Battle Creek Armory LLC. I got a physical rehabilitation facility in a state nowhere close to me and the link to the PayPal community. I have since changed my password for BOTH PayPal and my email. Once again, Thank You So Much for being on top of the issue for all of us. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @jjtanner76

Thank you so much for your kind words! I am so glad that I was able to help!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Seven10
New Community Member

Hi

I have also received a transaction notice by email for 379 $ that I have not done. I immediately checked in this community and found others with the same problem. I gather that they cannot withdraw any money (hopefully). But. The question is what PayPal is doing to 

stop these fraudulent messages. It is very disturbing!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.