Fraudulent invoices

RoboElvi
Contributor
Contributor

I’m not sure that this is the right place for this, but recently I have received invoices for products I never purchased, all around the same value. All of the invoices were canceled shortly after they were received. The company names are different, so are the names associated with the accounts, but the phone number is the same. None ever resulted in money being moved. Is there any way to stop this from happening (none of these account are in my contacts so can’t just block user)? Any help would be appreciated, Thank You  

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Shang63
Contributor
Contributor
I have also received fraudulent invoices detailing items I have not bought. What to do... I keep getting invoices from companies giving tracking numbers and saying my purchase has been approved. I'm too scared to now legitimately buy anything. What to do?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @RoboElvi, @Shang63,

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear you're receiving some unsolicited invoices. I can certainly understand how concerning that can be. Unfortunately, there's not a way to stop these before they are received. However, here's how to cancel a money request or invoice so you don't see them every time you login: 

1. Either find the request or invoice on your Summary page or click Activity.
  2. Click Cancel next to it.
  3. Click Yes to complete the cancellation.

Also, here's some great information on PayPal Buyer Protection and Safeguarding your Account in these situations. 

I hope that helps a bit!

- Jon K 

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Temp20220717C
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_JonK @RoboElvi  @Shang63  - I appreciate your answer to this fraudulent invoice dilemma.  However, by going thru the process of canceling said invoice, aren't you inadvertently notifying the sender that they hit a valid email address / paypal account?   A fraudster sent me an invoice that's sitting out there as a pending, overdue item. If they're phishing & I don't approve a payment and ignore the invoice, the problem stays with them.   If they actually DID sell something to someone illegally using my (hacked) info,  THEY'VE been defrauded which is not my problem either.   I'm just going to keep an eye on the invoice in my account to see if "overdue" status escalates by fraudster.  The "invoice" contains a "customer Service Help Desk" phone number that I WILL NOT contact.  My thinking is that no communication from me or my account will have them move on. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.