Fraudulent charge from Xoom

mjathas
New Community Member

Hi everyone,

Tonight, my wife and I received a text message from our bank (Chase) alerting us to a potential fraudulent charge on our checking account from a company called Xoom for nearly $700.  Upon Googling this company, it appears that they are some sort of wire transfer service affiliated with PayPal.  While we do use PayPal for eBay and various other online purchases, neither one of us have ever heard of this Xoom company and this charge certainly was not from either of us.  The charge was on my wife's debit card, which is the one that we have attached to our PayPal account.  We just got off the phone with our bank and they did mark the charge as fraudulent and closed out my wife's card and will mail her a new one, but this has us very concerned.  Has anyone else ever experienced fraudulent withdrawals from this company?  Did they somehow get our info through our PayPal account?  We have been using PayPal for nearly 20 years and nothing like this has ever happened before, but now we worry that it may not be all that secure.  This was a very large withdrawal they made from our account and now we have to wait possibly several days to get it back as Chase has to investigate it.  VERY aggravating.   

Login to Me Too
21 REPLIES 21

fightinfueler
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I may be going through the same situation you are.

I'm not able to get a hold of xoom or paypal for that matter either. I keep getting monthly statements from xoom. I phoned countless amount of times and sent countless emails but no one is replying to me whatsoever. On one exception about a month ago, xoom did send me (automated) an email with an attached pdf file to report a scammer. I filled out the form and also advised xoom I never applied to their service better yet, even heard of them (heard of Paypal, but not xoom). After returning the email with attached complaint I never heard nothing back for the month. Today, I just received another statement today from xoom, so obviously no one at xoom reacted to my complaint. 

I notified Better Business Bureau but even they never responded back to me or anything for that matter! They used to be a good service, but lately, even BBB doesn't tend to business anymore! Even my own bank is letting me down and not tending to business when I get a hold of them!

I understand there's a covid situation going on but this is ridiculous! Enough is enough! 

On a good note, I've been checking my monthly bank statements and from what I see, no one has taken any money out from my account. 

As far as this xoom account, the scammer (Aslam <removed>) is the one "claimingly" taking money from my account. I googled his name but nothing came up. 

If you find any solution to our problem pleas let me know and I'll do the same. Thank you and good luck to you.

Login to Me Too

ritagroves
Contributor
Contributor

Thankfully my bank and my credit card gave me my money back.  They, along with Xoom has a fraud investigation and I hope they figure out how someone is tapping into the system and getting info.  I wish you the best about getting your money back as well.  

Login to Me Too

Biznessman
Contributor
Contributor
Hey did it show where the money was sent or spent on bank statement ? I Los my wallet yesterday and I got a email from my bank saying someone was using my xoom never heard of it , however if I lost my wallet at work I would like to report to authorities thank you
Login to Me Too

JKSharpe
New Community Member

I've never heard of Xoom either, and have just had an email stating an unauthorized transaction has been flagged of 400USD to Pakistan. Tried contacting Xoom & Paypal to no avail... can anyone advise what my next steps should be please?

Login to Me Too

Vijay_Rangari
Contributor
Contributor
I just got the same email from xoom saying payment not authorised. Checked my paypal and it shows no activity. I don't understand how they can try since I have 2 step authentication setup.
Login to Me Too

Luciphillips
Contributor
Contributor
Same as the above two users - I've just had same for Pakistan and similar amount but PayPal activity seems ok?? I don't know if its a phishing email or something I legit should be worried about?
Login to Me Too

Fabulina
Contributor
Contributor
I, like SO many others, have had an experience where someone created a Xoom account via my Paypal account and extracted money feom my bank account. Xoom has been "investigating" the situation for 2 weeks. I was told to expect someone to contact me within 5 business days and...nothing. It sounds as if there is a giant security hole that a TON of people have fallen into. Perhaps Paypal, since they have chosen to be partnered with Xoom, should be held responsible? I am BEYOND frustrated.
Login to Me Too

kgustafson
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal should be held accountable to this mess that is XOOM.

I also was defrauded this way.

I NEVER opened a XOOM account

I NEVER authorized payments to anyone via XOOM

I HAVE SPENT THE PAST FOUR MONTHS TRYING TO DELETE THE ZOOM ACCOUNT I NEVER OPENED!

I finally have resorted to removing ALL accounts from PayPal for fear of further fraud.  Why will you NOT remove the fraudulent XOOM account?!?!  

Xoom refuses to accept the problem and will not admit that what happened to me was fraud.  This is BS on the highest level!

Login to Me Too

SunMermaid
Contributor
Contributor
Same here! I don't have a Xoom account and Xoom tried to charge my debit card in the amount of $450.99. Lucky for me it didn't go through. I called my bank immediately and they closed the card. I'm getting a new card.
Login to Me Too

Rachelleahormel
Contributor
Contributor
I’d like to contact the police and file a class action, what do you think?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.