Fraudulent GrubHub Seamless Charge

epicanthus
Contributor
Contributor

This evening I was charged $99.49 for a GrubHub Seamless charge from San Francisco (I live in Colorado). I went to Paypal's Resolution Center to dispute it and was notified that, "We're sorry, you can't file a case on this type of transaction." Anyone else have this issue or know what to do? Thanks!

Login to Me Too
31 REPLIES 31

imacasey
Contributor
Contributor
I tried chat on PO - pretty useless - called and got transferred acouple of times, but eventually talked to someone who understood and started an "investigation". Then I went on FB to Grubhub's page. Had to like their page, but then was able to post my issue and they pm'd me. I explained the problem. They agreed..and also launched an "investigation". Paypal came thru first with a credit- about 4-5 days, but Grubhub went radio silent...almost 3 weeks after my report - they credited my account. Crazy way to do business. I eventually checked my paypal settings and cancelled about 15 "subscriptions" I didn't know I had. Also set up 2 stage authentication for any purchases.
Login to Me Too

kaye2may
Contributor
Contributor

This happened to me on 1/5/23.  Popeye's chicken in the amount of $32.83 out of Maryland.

Login to Me Too

Nahimgood1
Same thing happened to me out of Maryland. We’re you able to see the address and/or phone number?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @kaye2may, @mooneymama, @Nahimgood1, and everyone,

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear you've all run into some unrecognized activity through PayPal with GrubHub. I'd first recommend chatting with GrubHub on this issue to see if they're able to offer some assistance. After a bit of digging, I found the following article on their site you may find useful: I see a charge on my card, but I didn't order from Grubhub.

If they're unable to assist, you can see if the option to Open a dispute is available through our Resolution Center. However, you may want to reach out to your external funding source to see what kind of dispute options are available.

Regardless of which route you take, we certainly recommend updating your login info on GrubHub and PayPal. You may also want to review your active Billing Agreements as well. 

Good luck!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

CaliPatriot
It's been one week since it happened to me. They not only ordered, but they changed my email, so now I can't login to change my password. Grubhub asked some transaction questions, and now it's been 6 days since I've heard anything. PayPal isn't helping either. I will be closing both accounts. I've been with PayPal for over 20yrs.
Login to Me Too

Tony618
Contributor
Contributor
Can someone explain how they get authorization from paypal within grubhub? Even if they got my grubhub password dont they need my paypal password to authorize? I saw a subscription was made (which i deleted) but the security on my paypal acct is strict and it was not hacked.
Login to Me Too

racmartinez
Contributor
Contributor

I just got notified that an automatic payment from GrubHub Seamless in the amount of $10.86 was charge this morning. I reached out to PayPal and they gave me the same answer too saying Case status:Closed Thank you for reporting this case. After our review, we found that certain transactions weren't unauthorized and hence couldn't be covered by PayPal Purchase Protection. Like WTF, how did this even happen? I haven't ordered from GrubHub since 2012 and even then I didn't have a PayPal account back then!

Login to Me Too

racmartinez
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATED: I called th[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]and spoke with a Sophia. I explained to her the situation and she said I had subscribed for a trial a month earlier. I asked her how can that be when I haven't even ordered anything. Who would sign up for a free trial without ordering anything? A normal person would add the free trial when they place an order and take advantage of the free month. I told her no, there's no way that was me. So she cancelled it and processed a refund.

Login to Me Too

Leejas
I just got notified by PayPal that a $91 charge was authorized from grubhub seamless and it was for an order in another state and the tip amount was $80. I looked back at my transaction history and see another charge in April of this year for $90+. I contacted grubhub and they said they are investigating. It was not a subscription charge but for a drink + $80 tip. Grubhub needs to fix this.
Login to Me Too

Tony618
Contributor
Contributor

This is an ongoing security issue within the grubhub app. How Paypal has not deauthorized grubhub for payment is beyond me. It's a nightmare and keeps happening. I cancelled my grubhub acct

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.