Fraudulent Account: Bill from PayPal Credit and Synchrony

Justinislin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

My wife doesn't have a PayPal account. However, she received a letter from PayPal Credit claiming that she  has an outstanding balance and late fee. I called the PayPal Credit customer service. They said someone opened an account in my wife's name in Dec/2021 and made a transaction. I then called the PayPal customer service, they said there is no account under my wife. My question is how can PP Credit bill my wife when she doesn't have an PP account? Can I trust PP Credit over the phone to give SSN/DOB to dispute this account and transaction? I just doesn't know if they are phishing for more information. 

Justin

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Justinislin
Contributor
Contributor

We called PayPal Credit and they said they will investigate this account. As of now, this fraudulent account is closed and we don't have to pay the balance. It took a long waiting time to talk to a Paypal Credit agent, but once connected they are quite helpful. I was concerned about if PayPal Credit was a fake company, but it is legit. 🙂

Justin

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

Justinislin
Contributor
Contributor

We called PayPal Credit and they said they will investigate this account. As of now, this fraudulent account is closed and we don't have to pay the balance. It took a long waiting time to talk to a Paypal Credit agent, but once connected they are quite helpful. I was concerned about if PayPal Credit was a fake company, but it is legit. 🙂

Justin

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.