Fraud credit - being chased for a debt that isn't mine

Kathryn_59
Contributor
Contributor

😭

I hope someone can help! In Jan this year I received a debt collection letter saying paypal were chasing me for over £1k.

I immediately logged into my account to see how this had happened and found no related transactions. Which means I can't log it under the normal paypal 'report a fraudulent transaction' process. After several months, the debt agency sent me a printout showing the transactions in question.  They are all in Canadian dollars and occur over a range of just over 1 week in December last year, not before or after.

They were all done under my details except there is a different email address - i think maybe they have been set up as a credit account?!

I have got absolutely nowhere with paypal, I have tried Citizens advice bureau who directed me towards Action Fraud, who tell me there isn't a viable line of enquiry...I am sooo sooo at my wits end! And every couple of weeks a new red letter chasing the debt arrives! 

Has anyone else had this or similar? How has it been resovled? Any ideas?!

Thank you 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Sean

Hello @Kathryn_59, thank you for posting.

I realize that this situation is difficult, but rest assured we can find a resolution for you. As you received a debt collection letter, it would be best to contact PayPal so we can best assist you.

For safety and security, please contact our customer support team via Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/PayPal/, Twitter - @AskPayPal, chat or phone.

I hope this helps,

- Sean

Login to Me Too

Travis38
Contributor
Contributor
I also had a heavy encounter yesterday! I left a little bit of money in and it was withdrawn.Plus the account was terminated same time! I can't login or go to the resolution center.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.