Fradulent USPS Tracking numbers

RO1858
Contributor
Contributor

I have an issue with a fraudulent company. They are issuing valid USPS tracking numbers for shipments in my zip code but, they not associated with my order or my Paypal address. When I enter a claim that I never received the product, Paypal posts the bogus  tracking info supplied by the shipper and closes the dispute even though I never received the product.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RO1858 

APPEAL

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.
Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page, however that may not be an option at the moment due to covid), or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RO1858 

APPEAL

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page, however that may not be an option at the moment due to covid), or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

RO1858
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the info

Login to Me Too

Ridiculicious

I received a report from the USPS about the tracking number going to a bogus address, and the order was placed through paypal that shows my address. My dispute was closed so I have no way of sending them this information? How do I appeal?

Login to Me Too

jeanarp
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, the seller only replies to inquiries from PayPal. It provided them a stolen USPS delivery confirmation for my city, but not my address. I have never received a reply from the seller to my email inquiries, nor for that matter, any communication directly from the seller. 

PayPal says that the issue is closed because the seller provided a "valid" USPS tracking number.

I just called USPS Inspectional Services. The agent I talked to said that the tracking numbers used by the scammers are old tracking numbers that were stolen through hacking. A scammer matches an old tracking number with the city that the delivery is to made in. The delivery date is changed - and the package is "delivered." The USPS delivery record will not show the street address that the package was supposed to be delivered to.

What is so sad, is that I tried to alert PayPal that I am just one of hundreds (I'm sure) of PayPal customers who have been taken in by this one scam for raised planters. And the ad is still showing up online, payment through PayPal is the only option. I would think PayPal would care more about its customers and its reputation.

PS. I'm retired from the Post Office. I am disgusted by their inability to prevent their tracking system from being misused. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jeanarp 

Paypal is just a payment processor that gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection.
So disputes for non receipt of item are mostly automated. Seller provides tracking that shows delivery = seller wins.
So then its your turn to do some work to assist Paypal in recovering your purchase price from your seller.

Firstly ring customer services and tell them that the number is fake or that the item was shown as shipped before you purchased it. With that information they may well just issue you a refund.

Secondly if they don't then... APPEAL
To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jeanarp
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your quick reply and info.

I made two separate purchases of raised planters that I soon realized was probably too good to be true. 

I did a little research and realized I'd been scammed. And I was sure that many other PayPal customers had been scammed. (I didn't know about the fake USPS tracking numbers until today.)

I wanted to prevent even more PayPal customers from being scammed by this particular seller, so right after emailing the seller, I decided to escalate the issue to PayPal. The seller quickly replied to PayPal (never any correspondence to me) that the item had been delivered - without even providing a tracking number to me. 

For PayPal, it was case closed. And no appeal, since the escalation was my appeal. I try to help other PayPal customers and get slapped in the face for my efforts.

Login to Me Too

DoloresS
Contributor
Contributor
That’s exactly what happened to me but I called USPS and they told me to call my local post office to get a more detailed tracking report which I did and they gave me the proof I needed to resolve my case. The other option is to file a claim with the post office based on that tracking number or a dispute with your credit card company. I know annoying but don’t stop until you have exhausted all options. Good luck
Login to Me Too

Ridiculicious

Unfortunately, Paypal is connected to my debit card, so they don't have buyer protection. And the post office said there's no way to file a claim because they don't have any information other than pick up the package and send it to the address that's marked down. They don't know who bought and sold what's inside. Here's the kicker. I went to the address, just to see if maybe the people received it. IT DOESN'T EXIST. So not only are sellers able to get away with this fraud, the post office is too.

Login to Me Too

DoloresS
Contributor
Contributor
If the post office knows it’s not your address they have to show you the document of where it was sent, that will prove you didn’t have it shipped to the address you put on the order. Also call your bank and see what your rights are there they may have a claim process.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.