Fake bitcoin sale?

Terryvh1226
Contributor
Contributor

I received this message, but I did not purchase any bitcoins.   It looks like spam and scam.  Any info would be appreciated.

Begin forwarded message: From: fred <  <removed> >
Subject: Receipt no : 1042-8101-6271-4331/......!!
Date: April 14, 2021 at 8:08:41 AM PDT
To: terry
Resent-From: <terry

PAYPAL

Dear User,

Thank you for your order on April 14th, 2021 from Coin Base.

The amount of $499.99 was successfully sent to COIN BASE USA for your site purchase of BITCOIN EXCHANGE.

This transaction may appear in your statement as PAYPAL COINBASE by next 24 business hour.

If in case you did not make this payment please contact us to cancel.

For cancellation or to make any changes or for any other issues contact our helpline number at [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]/p>

Billing Information :-

Receipt no : 1042-8101-6271-4331

Description: 0.0086 BT (Bit coin)

Sub Total: $499.99

Services Charges: $00.00

TotalAmount: $499.99

Coin Base has processed your crypto currency as the authorized reseller ofBTC.

Account Manager

Thank & Regard

Cancel the Transaction contact this number [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]/strong>

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Terryvh1226 

If its a spoof then NEVER USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Terryvh1226 

If its a spoof then NEVER USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

klynn11
Contributor
Contributor

I just got one of these fake Coinbase emails too.  suspicious, so I just checked my paypal, no such transactioin.  May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits!

Login to Me Too

bosdad
Contributor
Contributor

I recently received the same message and bill. It seems PayPal does not want to deal with this and keeps it's users safe. there is no place to report such scam you just get the standard PayPal run around. Maybe PayPal should track these scams and shut them down, but they don't seem to want to be bothered with it.  The only thing that PayPal seems to allow you to do is cancel the request.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bosdad 

None of these spoofs have anything to do with paypal anyone can send you a money request or invoice if they have your email address.

As the scammers work out of an internet cafe somewhere in Asia or Africa then there is nothing anything paypal OR your bank OR your credit card company etc can do if you receive these spoof emails or money requests.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Krimma1986
Contributor
Contributor
There is something you can do Click the three dots and report phishing I even called and reported it
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Krimma1986 

Reporting it as phishing is just asking paypal customer services to confirm its a phishing email for you and to make them aware of the latest scams that are about.

However there is nothing that they can actually DO about it as most times none of the transactions are using their site.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

hampatel
New Community Member

You can report phishing PayPal scams to phishing@paypal.com - I also got this and sent it over so they can do something about. This was one of the better scams, but simple rule, if you didn't do it, just go straight to PayPal and look at your history. This is a scammer trying to get you to pay an invoice via PayPal. Scammer creates an invoice and has PayPal send you the invoice, the problem is that the invoice is fraudulent and unsuspecting users may click thinking they owe money. 

Login to Me Too

Marin1996
Contributor
Contributor
How do I confirm my mobile phone number with PayPal?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.