Fake Tracking numbers

SunShinex5
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, I'm blown away by all the comments on this community page. I've never had any issues with PayPal until recently, and everyone is right, you cannot talk to a live person, this is stupid. I had to file a claim which is still under review, and now I have another issue with the same problem, FAKE tracking numbers!! I have not filed a claim on the 2nd one yet because I was able to provide PayPal with a fake (stolen) phone number & the fact that the tracking # shows delivered 2 days before I placed an order, thinking they would investigate without me giving the seller heads up in the resolution center that we were onto them. But after reading everyone's stories & comments I'm starting to feel they (PAYPAL) will not help me or resolve these issues. This is ridiculous, where's the protection buying that paypal claims you have with them? If scammers can send fake tracking #'s showing your package was delivered & paypal goes with that and closes your case then what hope is there for our protection? 

Login to Me Too
72 REPLIES 72

DrSeely
Contributor
Contributor
17Track is the worst!
Login to Me Too

redbrd2
Contributor
Contributor

@DrSeely 

I couldn't agree more.  It makes me question the integrity and intentions of the forum's ea who continuously uses the same "solution" post, mentioning the same tracking company.

Please provide the shipping carrier "allegedly" used for your transaction and I will attempt appropriate means of contact.

Live Life, Make Memories, Seek Justice and Rock On!!!

Login to Me Too

Sonya125
I have also bee scammed by a merchant with multiple fake tracking numbers and PayPal won’t help me. The first tracking number stated I received the merchandise the day before I even ordered it!!! PayPal requested another tracking number and the next one said I received it that morning. I have not received anything and PayPal has closed the case saying that tracking was provided. I can not get in touch with anyone from PayPal. I guess I’ll just keep filing disputes
Login to Me Too

redbrd2
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Sonya,

I also received a fake tracking number.  I was extremely consumed and dedicated to resolve the issue.  I provided several screenshot, pictures, and even videos from my security camera, with date/time stamps, during the exact time the tracking number stated the "package" was delivered.  ALL of that was NOT good enough, pp wanted a letter, picture or screenshot from UPS stating it was a tracking number NOT associated with me or my purchase.  I was able to obtain this from UPS, relatively painlessly and very quickly (Big Kudos to UPS!!!).  Before I received and sent this to pp, I was actually offered a "voucher" for $4.80 over the price I was scammed.  I insistently refused this voucher and continued to flood email with other proof, consistently pursuing my character and integrity, which should never have been questioned by pp.  Extremely frustrated, disappointed, and angry.  It is a great thing I am not only retired (allowing the time for my dedication and persistence), but, thankfully, I am able to type relatively quickly, with very few, if any errors/mistakes.  I have saved the multiple chat sessions involving my case.  Even after my case closed, I pursued in an attempt to advocate for those consumers that can't or won't.  I begged pp for the address on file for the alleged seller.  During my last rant, screenshotting the obvious issues with fake tracking numbers and pp's idiotic policies, specifically siding with the "sellers", even those with a negative reputation, pp revoked my ability to send/attach files to the chat session.  Trust me, I am far from finished!  Once I get a dedicated opportunity to review my entire chat sessions, I will be posting and I will attempt to inform you that it is posted.  You will see my extreme dedication.  So, I turned down the "generous voucher" as I wanted more to prove my innocence and have the seller (hopefully) removed from future pp selling.  My case was closed within 10 minutes of providing a screenshot of the information contained in my claim to UPS, in my favor.  I am no longer going to be a pp customer, I'm done.  I could have easily gone through my credit care, American Express, who would have generously and immediately credited my account in the full amount, but also would have done the investigation themselves.  It is unacceptable pp requires the investigation, requiring the time, dedication, persistence, and proof of no wrong-doing, be all be done by the consumer/buyer.  Never again.  American Express from now on for worry free purchases and customer support.  I will say, Veena, my pp representative was very patient, dedicated and accommodating, specifically to my obvious sarcasm and frustration, and clear of what was required to close the dispute in my favor.  It was not her moronic policies that she was following.  Also of note, pp mentions a means to appeal a closed dispute, however, I was never able to find or submit anything of the such.  I don't think it actually exists.  I even went so far to question the appeal process during my dispute chats, however, it was never addressed or explained.  Finally, I was beyond disappointed there was no contact information for the idiot seller.  The website was taken down.  I was provided an email address by pp, however, all three email attempts returned an "undelivered message" automated response, which, I also took a screenshot and sent via chat to pp, many more times than once.  So, the bottom line is, please continue to pursue, push and dedicate the absolute obvious and correct resolution.  I can strongly assure anyone this will never occur to me in the future, and, if I can prevent it from occurring to just one, my efforts were all worth it.  If I can, somehow, keep in contact with you, I would love for you to see the many, many, many pages I submitted, copied, and pasted into the chat.  I won and hope all other do as well!!!  Should you have any questions at all, or, would like some advice or continue pursuits, please, do not hesitate to let me know.  By the way, that invitation goes out to ANYONE who is experiencing this idiocy.  My next pursuit is with UPS to find ways to prevent this scamming stupidity!!!  Out here...

Login to Me Too

redbrd2
Contributor
Contributor

Sonya,

What worked for me was using the pp assistant chat window (not available 24 hours/day).  I left the window chat window open (don't close it or click "End Session".  While waiting for my claim to be resolved with the shipping company, UPS, which did an expedient and great job, I flooded/completely overloaded the Chat window, continuously attaching screenshots (I had date/time stamped video of three minutes before delivery time with the fake tracking number, and three minutes after) showing no one coming to my door and no package being left.  Not good enough for pp, they wanted/needed proof from UPS.  I researched, copied, pasted, sent more screenshots, etc. continually.  I was dedicated and persistent.  I was not going to back down.  As the chat session developed, I would randomly copy and paste it into either an open word document or I would send it to myself via email.  I truly felt sorry for the CSR as I knew it wasn't her policy and she was the front-line defense, taking all of the bullets, doing what she was hired to do.  She was courteous and very responsive to my concerns.  I questioned many of the pp policies, the buyer protection program, and many other things.  When UPS approved my claim, I submitted a screenshot and within 10 minutes, the case was closed in my favor and I had an email to prove it, along with a $10 voucher for being a "good customer".  I do not have any intention of using the voucher.  I will only keep my account open to received funds if necessary, otherwise, I am done with pp and will never use them again for any purchase.

I attempted to continue filing disputes when the seller would provide information and pp would close the case, however, all of the additional disputes were automatically closed, immediately upon submission.  pp mentions an appeal process, providing (very difficult to locate) instructions, however, I was not able to locate any of the necessary tabs, buttons, etc. to file an appeal.  I continued to keep the chat window open, expressing my concerns, which, were actually addressed in a timely fashion.

I hope some of this information helps.  Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns I may be able to address.

I wish you the best of luck!!!

Live life, make memories, and Rock On!!!  @Sonya125 

Login to Me Too

smitho
Contributor
Contributor

How the hell is this solved did everybody get their money back I haven't and paypals needs to man up and get this resolved for your customers.

Login to Me Too

redbrd2
Contributor
Contributor

Smitty,

Please read the post/response I posted to Sonya125 at approximately 1318 hours (central) on Sunday, 25 JUL 21.  Please, feel free to reach out to me to help you solve your issue based upon the lengthy lessons I had to learn.  I would not even hesitate to advocate for you in some fashion.  If you could provide me some basic, non-personal specifics of your case (such as a website), I would be glad to type specific things you could copy/paste into your chat session, which "should" be beneficial.  My recommendation to EVERYONE is this:

Link a valid CREDIT (not debit!!!) card to you pp account.  Ensure you know the policies/procedures of the buyer protection offered by your issuing company (I strongly recommend American Express).  Know them like the back of your hand and use them accordingly.  I could have "much" easier gone through American Express, or, accepted the "voucher" offer by pp, which was actually $4.80 over my dispute amount, but, I was intent on proving my innocence and ensuring pp knew they were in the wrong and their policies are just plain stupid.  I am continuing to use representative time via the chat window to express my disgust in their policies.  Please, feel free to reach out to me, and, if I can help, you can rest assured, I will do EVERYTHING in my power to get what you deserve, JUSTICE!!!

Login to Me Too

redbrd2
Contributor
Contributor

ALL,

FYI.  Just some of my persistence in action, sent to pp chat.  Please feel free to copy/past any info you deem valuable.

July 25, 2021

Your notes

Item was NOT delivered. Claim has been initiated with UPS. Total refund of $75.20 was initiated on Sunday, 25 JUL 21. I have reviewed ALL footage from BOTH my doorbell camera (NO activity for 22 JUL 21), and other security camera system monitoring the front door from 22 JUL 21 11:11 AM to 22 JUL 21 11:22 AM with neither any human detected, nor, any package being left. Video footage for the entire day, 22 JUL 21 is available upon request...as these files are video (.avi), I am unable to attach them to this issue at this time. Also of note: The package tracking information states a weight of 31.00 lbs. As referenced in the above link showing description of the item, the weight is 3.00 lbs. Other multiple websites (screenshots available upon request) list the item at 6.00 lbs and shipping weight of 7.00 lbs. Seller is clearly a fraud and has attempted to scam both PayPal and me!!! Apparently, PayPal has been in contact with the seller, however, there are no contact details available from this purchase, and, the email address provided by PayPal, renattakufzvio@g****.com, resulted in an undelivered email message, as provided in the attached file below.

Login to Me Too

redbrd2
Contributor
Contributor

@smitho 

After dedicating over 24 hours in a two day period, I was able to provide the DEMANDED proof/documentation and get my dispute closed in my favor, and, my character and integrity restored.

All I can suggest is vigilance, dedication, and persistence.

Best of luck and if I can help, please let me know...

Live life, make memories, and Rock On!!!

Login to Me Too

RAA249
New Community Member

I don't know how the fake item sellers are getting these tracking numbers but they aren't actually for the transaction of the PayPal buyer. When a dispute is created the seller should have to produce the actual shipping receipt to prove it was sent (delivered) to the correct street address. Since PayPal is only allowing a city and zip code as proof in these disputes is useless. These tracking numbers are real but are not for the correct transaction. This is no Package Protection on PayPal's part.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.