Fake Tracking numbers

SunShinex5
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, I'm blown away by all the comments on this community page. I've never had any issues with PayPal until recently, and everyone is right, you cannot talk to a live person, this is stupid. I had to file a claim which is still under review, and now I have another issue with the same problem, FAKE tracking numbers!! I have not filed a claim on the 2nd one yet because I was able to provide PayPal with a fake (stolen) phone number & the fact that the tracking # shows delivered 2 days before I placed an order, thinking they would investigate without me giving the seller heads up in the resolution center that we were onto them. But after reading everyone's stories & comments I'm starting to feel they (PAYPAL) will not help me or resolve these issues. This is ridiculous, where's the protection buying that paypal claims you have with them? If scammers can send fake tracking #'s showing your package was delivered & paypal goes with that and closes your case then what hope is there for our protection? 

Login to Me Too
72 REPLIES 72

Winkler1000
Contributor
Contributor

PAYPAL has a big new issue on their hands.    Companies that have learned to FAKE shipping and delivery often using 17TRACK for the FAKE tracking.  They are closing cases in favor of the vendor and ripping off US - the customers.  The sellers have found a loop hope in PayPal they can exploit with impunity.  They show a FAKE delivery and Paypal drops the case in their favor.  I have NOT received at least 8 packages in this last year of products I purchase on line with Paypal - AND - Paypal did not support the claim or even give me a change to make my case.     I have now lost a few hundred dollars and I will stop purchasing with PayPal because they are not  addressing this new form of fraudulent use of their product and system and so they are loosing our TRUST as a financial service supplier

Login to Me Too

B53
Are there any attorneys out there who would initiate a lawsuit to help PayPal understand that they need to step up? It's really quite simple to determine My fake tracking number was actually a valid number, but when I called ups I learned that the number was not associated with my name OR address, also that it described a 4.5 lb package when my order was only 15oz in weight. The seller will not rrspond to my inquiries at all NO HELP from PAYPAL
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@B53 

Paypal is just a payment processor that gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection.
So disputes for non receipt of item are mostly automated. Seller provides tracking that shows delivery = seller wins.
So then its your turn to do some work to assist Paypal in recovering your purchase price from your seller.

Firstly ring Paypal customer services and tell them that the number is fake or that the item was shown as shipped before you purchased it. With that information they may well just issue you a refund.

Secondly if they don't then... APPEAL
To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your Paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

B53
Exactly correct
Login to Me Too

SunShinex5
Contributor
Contributor
This issue is not resolved.. I do not know how it got a green check saying resolved. I have contacted my credit card company & filed a complaint & have proof it's a flake web address. Do not order from swimel.com
Login to Me Too

eligit
Contributor
Contributor

The best I was able to do was to get my bank to reverse the charge and investigate the transaction.

As far as I know the investigation is ongoing and I have the money temporarily replaced in my account.

I did the same with UPS and they are also investigating.

It's all incredibly frustrating.

Buyer beware I guess.

Login to Me Too

AngelaBardon

I made my purchase with my paypal credit card! I can't get them to reverse the charge.

Login to Me Too

redbrd2
Contributor
Contributor

@AngelaBardon 

I could have filed a dispute with my credit card, Amex, and would have instantly had the charge reversed.  Then, they would have done all of the legwork for the investigation until it was solved.  I am extremely disappointed pp doesn't do the same.  Maybe try reaching out to the bank who issued your pp card, number should be on the back of the card, however, I would very strongly advise contacting them via electronic means (website, secure message, email, etc.) to have proof of the action, or inaction they are taking for resolution.  Be even more persistent with the bank.  It is even more unacceptable to be "blown off" by the bank.  Also, do not hesitate to submit your case to the BBB.  Continuously bcc yourself in ALL communications to keep a detailed record of what you sent, especially in the case where an uncooperative merchant states the request/dispute/information/etc. was not received.  Proof is key, especially should you reach out to the BBB or other investigative organizations.  Contact every organization you can find, copy and paste all of your information and proof of the disregard of the businesses to help resolve your case.  I could not accept defeat, especially when it was so easy for pp to side with the seller, who provided the fake tracking number, and immediately closed the case, not even allowing me to keep the case open to provide neither a response nor additional proof.  I took this as a direct attack on my character and integrity, a very huge mistake on the part of pp.  Please, keep your head up, facts straight, proof organized, detailed and professional, and pursue what you know to be right.  If I may be able to assist you in any way, please, let me know.  I wish you the best of luck!!!

Live life, make memories and Rock On!!!

Login to Me Too

rbdnevis
Contributor
Contributor

I have also had difficulty with paypal.  I have been a member and using this service for many years.  I recently purchased a playstation from a company named King Console....Don't buy from them.  I was attempting to get to the playstation website and had clicked on the playstation website in the google search.  I was somehow re directed to this site and it said "sale".  I actually thought that playstation was promoting this site.  I ordered and it said that I would receive a tracking number in 2 days.  I never received a tracking number or the merchandise so I put in a dispute with paypal.  The seller then proceeded to send a tracking number that said delivered with signature.  I couldn't believe this so I contacted UPS and the first customer support person gave me the name of the seller MSP in Illinois and then the address to which the package was delivered which was not my address.  The address was actually a distributing center that sells beer and water.  The zip code was the same as mine but the address was different.  I contacted the distributing center which is a small business and I spoke to the secretary that told me that tracking number was associated with a package that was for hand sanitizer and definitely not a playstation.  The case with paypal is pending but reading all these cases makes me very uneasy.  If paypal closes this case I have no recourse with UPS either because the tracking number was never associated with my name or address so I can't even file for a lost package.  It is very sad that these scammers are taking advantage of the covid situation and it is difficult to contact paypal .  I send messages but they are fragmented and you may not get a response for hours.  Its so disappointing.  I think my next step is to contact the bank.  It is so sad that scammers are taking advantage of the covid situation as more people are buying from the internet and trying to protect themselves from going into stores.  

Login to Me Too

SunShinex5
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, it's a very sad & frustrating situation. I filed a claim with my bank which closes your claim with PayPal but I did get a refund from my bank on my claim. I still have a pending case with PP. I obtained info from the Post Office which should settle the case but seems PP wants to protect the seller, more than the buyer. I understand the buyer & seller protection policy but PayPal you really need to get rid of the loop holes!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.