Fake Tracking Numbers that just provides City/Zip Code

ShaanL
Contributor
Contributor

This is the second time I am getting scammed. I will never use Paypal again.

I purchased item on a website, used Paypal to pay.

Never received the item, didn't even get tracking number from Seller

When I opened a dispute, the seller sent a fake tracking ID that showed that an item was shipped to same zipcode as mine.

Paypal used that as a proof and denied my dispute.

I will never use Paypal again.

Tracking Number provided by seller and used by Paypal -

<removed>

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

TheEqualizer
Contributor
Contributor

Just had the same thing happen. You need to open a new claim and contact Paypal to actually look at the Address on the Tracking ID.

It is Paypal policy to actually match the address. They cannot just accept any Tracking ID and deny your claim.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-is-proof-of-delivery-and-how-can-i-provide-that-to-...

It has to MATCH your name and address to be accepted and deny your claim. If it does not match (which the scammer tracking ID they provide does not) then you will get your claim approved and get your money back.

I too, cannot believe, that Paypal does not follow their own policy regarding this and requires users to keep contacting them to address the problem.

Login to Me Too

ShaanL
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Equalizer.

Looks like all they need is to match the zip code and city

Proof of delivery is an online documentation from a shipping company that includes:

• The item's status as delivered.
  • The date the item was delivered.
  • The recipient's address, showing at least the city and state, or city and country, or zip/postal code (or international equivalent). The address information on your shipping receipt must match the address on the Transaction Details page.
Login to Me Too

TheEqualizer
Contributor
Contributor

I actually confirmed this with UPS today when resolving my claim dispute.

Paypal can contact UPS and get the exact address for the tracking number provided. Paypal did this and reversed my claim denial shortly afterwards. The SHIP TO address (while in the same city) was to a completely different person.

Now to work with Amazon, the shipper of the Tracking ID, to find out whether someone is using their tracking IDs or if the scammer is tied to the Amazon marketplace company. 

I plan on making sure the scammer is penalized for the crap they tried to pull providing bogus package tracking IDs. Getting them kicked off Amazon marketplace, if the tracking ID belongs to some storefront they run, will be considered a win for me (on top of getting my money back.)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.