Facebook shed ads a scam?

temp20220120d
Contributor
Contributor

I have been seeing a number of ads for a garden shed on Facebook for ridiculously inexpensive prices, ranging from$75-$159. Does anyone know if these are legitimate?  The following site has one for $75 and claims you can use Paypal. I would like to know if anyone knows about this site or has purchased this shed.

<Removed>

Login to Me Too
66 REPLIES 66

JohnQPublic2
Contributor
Contributor
My take on this is, if PayPal doesn't back me up, it's time to cancel something that doesn't work for me...
Login to Me Too

asgrant
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is a scam.  Waiting for PayPal to resolve.  Don't buy anything from Shedlimited.myshopify.com.   Complete fraud.  

Login to Me Too

Jbarri13
Contributor
Contributor
I ordered 2 sheds the same day from the same ad on Facebook. 2 different sellers replied with tracking numbers from USPS. 1 tracking said delivered a few hours before I even ordered it, the other said delivered 3 days before I ordered it. I reported both to PayPal and they denied 1 because the seller sent them a different tracking number that said delivered a few days after I ordered it. Still waiting on the second claim, but I'm sure it will be denied too. Me orders were through sunxoline com. I've seen a few other ads on Facebook with other websites which I reported to Facebook as scams.
Login to Me Too

Iykedon
New Community Member
Yeah I will
Login to Me Too

DM63
Contributor
Contributor

Although I was skeptical when seeing the ad, I too fell victim to the scam but I purposely paid with PayPal thinking they would protect me as they state. I have been denied twice even though, I proved that I did not receive anything and what the seller did ship certainly wasn't what I paid for. I was assured by PayPal that I was protected. Very disappointed as I trusted PayPal. I will think twice about using the service for payments in the future because they do not protect the consumer. The tracking number for what the seller sent was for a 7 ounce package of which I never received and certainly wasn't a shed.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DM63 

APPEAL

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.
Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page, however that may not be an option at the moment due to covid), or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Vikkicsmith
Contributor
Contributor

I have just fallen victim to this on 5/5/21 I think through a site called Intex, I have searched for sheds on my phone so naturally I ended up getting spammed with ads from then on, makes your head whirl. Anyway I have had no correspondence whatsoever from seller, not an order acknowledgement or confirmation or anything, I have checked my spam box more than I ever have done before in case it went in there (was obviously a little suspect from time of ordering 🙄) Anyway I have emailed rats <removed> to request a cancellation and refund based on no correspondence must mean order not received. If has received to cancel + refund as they must not have shipped it yet. I don't expect to get a reply based on this thread so have opened dispute having just contacted seller, wish me luck 🤞

Login to Me Too

Sammy1963
Contributor
Contributor
It's because they provide a tracking number and send you a package of post it's. I to was denied . now i never use PayPal
Login to Me Too

Sammy1963
Contributor
Contributor
Same here i had to get my money back from amex. Never again.
Login to Me Too

Madmartian
Contributor
Contributor

I typed the URLs from the various shed ads into www.scam-detector.com. All came up at or close to ZERO TRUST. That's really hard to do! No way any of these are legit. I was suspicious of anything that would cost more to ship than they were charging for the cost. Facebook clearly doesn't care if their users get ripped off by these fake ads. I reported an ad as a scam and then got the same ad again 10 minutes later. Then I found this thread. I was saved from getting ripped off by the old adage "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is" - and some research. Oddly enough, they seem to be applying this fake ad scam to things other than sheds. I got an ad for a "Palmer blood test" sculpture based on the movie "The Thing". Sure enough, another cheap price and a zero-trust web site. I was suspicious of that one because the web site also sold salad spinners and the sculpture didn't appear to exist anywhere but that site. It just didn't make sense. I've gotten a lot of good stuff from facebook ads with no successful scams so far, but facebook appears to be slipping. I thought they were supposed to be paying more attention to where their ad revenue is coming from now. Apparently not.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.